The right way

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I tend to be flexible and fair (I think). So I am going to say that I think the Forest Service's policy to brush-hog 12 feet on each side of certain roads for a fire break has turned out to be a suprisingly good thing. :cool:

It is pleasing to the eye, and if they do enough of them, they won't have to bulldoze anymore. They only need to do this at strategic locations, and when there is a fire, make a stand at that particular road. Here is a photo of my friend Mike at one such location tonite when we were out riding. Extra points if you can tell me where this is.

IMG_6425A.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
An old man should not be riding what looks like a pretty good clip. You tell Mike to slow down!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wait, I have a better clue. It is right at the forgotten place that always comes up in conversations once in awhile. Even Beck was always wondering what went on there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With Beck, that could be a million places. Sorry Bob but I have no idea.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That gives it away :D it starts with the letter A.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Gotta disagree. I think that they went overboard clearing the area. Now it looks like a logging operation is going to start up any day now.

It actually pains me to drive down that road.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, Do you think the clearing will help other plants to grow? I met Mike on Tuesday to show him an orchid he wanted to photograph.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, Do you think the clearing will help other plants to grow? I met Mike on Tuesday to show him an orchid he wanted to photograph.

No, I don't think non-indiginous plants will grow there. You will get Gaylusaccia and Ilex as pioneers, then eventually Quercus will crowd them out. They'll have to cut every few years.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
stokes rd runs between the batsto and mulica north of batsto from quaker bridge to 206. just looked like it :)

Odd that you mentioned where it was yesterday Karl. I crossed it and was thinking of it right about the same time you posted where it was. I took the day off and was exploring the savanna's and river bottoms 1.4 miles above Quaker Bridge on the Batsto and Springer's Brook. I was going to drive up it, but I was dirty and tired at the time and on my way home. I was on Old Lower Forge Road.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Odd that you mentioned where it was yesterday Karl. I crossed it and was thinking of it right about the same time you posted where it was. I took the day off and was exploring the savanna's and river bottoms 1.4 miles above Quaker Bridge on the Batsto and Springer's Brook. I was going to drive up it, but I was dirty and tired at the time and on my way home. I was on Old Lower Forge Road.

Edit: Whoops....you posted at 2:45 AM, not PM. Karl, you stay up late!