The Sarracenia Flava was Fleeced (Trumpet Pitcher Plant)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Even though the Trumpet Pitcher Plant is not native to the Pine Barrens, it is always exciting to find or see them when I can. You may have remembered a few of my posts where I mentioned that one particular location was doing quite well, and you may have viewed this photo I took of them.

Trumpet%20Pitcher%20Plants.JPG

Well, I visted there today with bobpbx and we were annoyed to find that someone has stolen almost all of them. They systematically pulled them out of the ground and carted them away in a vehicle as recent as maybe today or for sure in the past week. Their tire tracks were clearly visible on a road nearby, and you can see where they pulled off to the side to acquire them. Even though they are not rare or endangered, it is frighting to think think that this may also happen to those plants that are rare. And it is illegal to remove anything from state forests making their little pilfering more than just a little annoying.

I am imploring anyone who knows something about this to come forward and give me a name. I will make certain that I only give those who need to know the name of the person or persons involved in the actual removal of these plants. We can't let this happen again anywhere.

Bob's photo's

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

More from me

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9314.JPG

Their vehicle most likely had well worn tires that were not anything special. You can see in this photo under Bob's foot where they pulled off to take the plants. Their tracks were the only tracks on the road and were very fresh. It certainly was in the past two weeks and maybe even very early this morning.

IMG_9315.JPG

Please pass this link on to anyone who you know who has an interest in this type of plant, and remember, I can keep a secret as you know from all the stone locations I give out :). I will keep your name or email address to myself. My email address is on my photo's above.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The state has a non-native plant program started in the McGreey administration to eliminate non-natives. Perhaps they are the culprit?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The state has a non-native plant program started in the McGreey administration to eliminate non-natives. Perhaps they are the culprit?

These are not invasive. They have most likely been there for 50 years and you can see how far they traveled.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No they are not visible from the road at any time of the year.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I'm going to look through Craigslist after dinner. I have a feeling they will be for sale. Can anyone think of any recent ads or nurseries that offer plants like this for sale? What a crummy thing to do.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
It is possible that the Trumpet Pitcher Plant may have been included in a project's plant-restoration specifications. This theft required some botanical knowledge, perhaps that of a landscape contractor. If this is the case, there may be a record of some recent calls to native plant wholesalers for S. flava. See if Pinelands Nursery or Rare Finds had recent inquiries into the availability of this plant. I'll ask my friend Phil Sheridan at Meadowview Biological Research Station, which specializes in carnivorous plants. Just a thought.

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you all for your input. I will try contacting some of these places, and I appreciate your offer Spung-Man to contact your friend.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I sent a few emails using the above suggestions.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It's a shame because this happens a lot. If you find something unusual or rare you would like to share it with others so they can enjoy it too, but then things like this happen. There is a small group of people that I trust with anything I might stumble across.

Guy,

I just recently replied to a request for information I had pertaining to sites in the Pines that contained exotic species of pitcher plants, i.e., non native species, transplanted on savannahs or sphagnous bogs. I've documented several sites in various sections of the Pine Barrens where I have found such transplants, some dating back to the 1950s. In a few instances I'm aware of the individuals that did the actual transplanting. The exotic species I've seen are Sarracenia flava, S. minor, S. rubra, and a hybrid, all growing (apparently successfully) with our only native species found in NJ, S. purpurea. Most field botanists are opposed, myself included, to "contaminating" our beautiful, native habitats with such exotic intruders that can interfere with the natural gene flow. Man has screwed up the natural world enough already by his mindless introduction of countless exotic species both plant and animal. Although quite beautiful the pitcher plant transplants belong in gardens, not in our native landscapes. Bill Smith's bog in Warren Grove is the right place! I've never personally destroyed such introductions, but am concerned that such sites are being discovered with far greater frequency every year.

I have learned that there is a movement afoot, just recently started, to uproot such plantings particularly on land owned by conservation groups. The removal you witnessed my be related to such an undertaking.

Lost Town Hunter

It's a shame because this happens a lot. If you find something unusual or rare you would like to share it with others so they can enjoy it too, but then things like this happen. There is a small group of people that I trust with anything I might stumble across.

Sorry ! I tend to be a literal person-rather than a littoral one--and find it hard to resist a truly bad pun !

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
While I agree that the assault upon the pines continues and am disapointed with this event.

There are biggers issues brewing that are of much greater harm to the Pines and many other natural areas.

Soon a decision will be made to keep all of us out of the majority of the Pine Barrens as most will be run and controlled by a private corporation, that your tax dollars will pay so the pines is preserved.......

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm not totally onboard with those who have taken up the task of erradicating all invasives. I would agree to it in certain situations related to the public good (such as the gentian population on Dover Road--good for the soul and Pine Barren public relations). But Man is an integral part of the environment, and aside from those natural change causes (climate, wind, animals), Mankind is responsible for most of the non-natives anyway. I don't see them running around trying to pull up all the invasive Cyperaceae or Poaceae species. That would keep them busy full time, leaving the S. flava for us to enjoy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you Lost Town Hunter for your info!

Bob, I agree that these plants were not doing any harm. If the owner of the property wanted them removed and it is not state property, then they have that right. However, if this was not something they knew about we have someone who thinks that this property is theirs, and I have an issue with that.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Not totally a comment related to this exact incident as I don't know anything about plants and what is right or wrong for them. This is a comment on protecting the woods. What you all see here is something I've had to endure for years with reptiles and ampibians. People constantly poaching, destroying habitat of these species. I'm sure the same thing occurs with plants. The state is not able to protect everything in the pines and in many cases doesn't seem to know what and where to protect because they have no record in there system of something rare. It is truely the responsibility of all of us to protect the barrens and report everything we see. If you see something out of whack report it. If you don't know who to report it to ask me or post it on here. I've seen many things occur over the years that can be prevented or limited in the future if we are all working together. I've seen the vigilance and hard work of a few really deter jerkoffs from destroying the pines despite their best efforts...