The Search for Bobcats

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I'm making it a goal to track down and photograph a bobcat this year. Hopefully in the winter. The plan is to search out areas (possibly up north) right after a fresh snow and literally follow the tracks until we find the animal. From there i guess its a matter of getting it close enough to photo (or maybe in a tree).

In any case . . . the first few snowfalls of the season are now happening in the mountains--and i wanna get up there before the snow is too deep to hike up. This could possibly involve a night of camping--but it could go either way.

If anybody's interested in joining myself and a few boys from my website, please join in. Also--information relevant to this search would be greatly helpful. Anyone with experience tracking bobcats (or tracking in general)--I could always use some helpful tips.

-Bob

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Why go up North?

We have seen 2 seperate sightings of bobcats down in the pines. 2 seperate sightings in 2 seperate places. Yes, we are definate they were both bobcats. One we even tried to get a picture of but it didn't come out too well.

I guess our midnight travels down the woods really pay off getting to see the piebald deers and bobcats. Once we drove RIGHT up to this huge owl just sitting in the road. He was all up in his wing so maybe he was munching on something. He stayed there for a minute and then whoosh, he took off almost in line with the road, luck he was leading us. That has got to be the biggest and greatest surprise we have seen soo far.

My husband's father (may he rest in peace) spoke many times of his sightings of an eagle close to where he would hunt. This was close to 10 years ago though. We almost always pass this way to see if we could spot it, but unfortunately have never seen it yet. I doubt it would still be alive now.

--Bev

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
One animal that has always eluded me has been the bobcat. I have yet to see one in the pine barrens. I've seen coyote, piebalds, eagles, owls, river otter, timber rattlesnakes and other elusive creatures in my travels. But no bobcat.Where did you see these bobcats? I assume from your post it was at night.

Jeff

I figure it is just a matter of time before bear can be added to the list.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
One animal that has always eluded me has been the bobcat. I have yet to see one in the pine barrens. I've seen coyote, piebalds, eagles, owls, river otter, timber rattlesnakes and other elusive creatures in my travels. But no bobcat.Where did you see these bobcats? I assume from your post it was at night.

Jeff

I figure it is just a matter of time before bear can be added to the list.

Bob, Jessica, and I ran into a man in the woods near Coyle Field who said he was hunting them. He said he had caught some. He was a scary dude and he looked like he could have been easily hunting humans,and he made a remark as such.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Bob, Jessica, and I ran into a man in the woods near Coyle Field who said he was hunting them. He said he had caught some. He was a scary dude and he looked like he could have been easily hunting humans,and he made a remark as such.

Guy

Guy, I remember that guy saying it was coyote he was hunting.........bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Guy, I remember that guy saying it was coyote he was hunting.........bob

I believe you are correct. I stand corrected.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Yeah . . . Bobcats are endangered in this state, supposedly. Although I don't see why that means we shouldn't be allowed to hunt them . . . .

--Bob

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
For all those interested, the first trip is happening next sunday (into monday) December 19th--as long as the weather holds out.

Details are on my website's messageboard, or just let me know if you're interested.