The Search for Lebanon Glassworks

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
(The links below bring you to the appropriate galleries)

I tried braving the cold and rain today to find the ruins of the Lebanon Glassworks, in Byrne State Forest. I wasn't able to find it but I did find some other interesting things.

I went up Woodmansie Road from Savoy Blvd to get to Pomeroy Crossroads, but Woodmansie Road was a mess (huge puddles, etc.) I ended up taking Egg Harbor Road up, which runs next to Woodmansie Road. This road is much more travelled and is in a lot better shape.

From Pomeroy Crossroads I made a right down Glassworks Road which I assumed the ruins would be near. After asking a fellow motorist in the Pines who said he was unable to ever find the place, I continued on to try to get to the ranger station.

I did find a "Forest Management Area" that looks like they're researching cedar. It's surrounded by an electric fence to keep the deer out. On the other side of the road, they have baby cedars growing that are wrapped in some plastic webbing stuff. They have a whole grove of them growing like that.

I also came across a concrete building on the side of the road that had a metal door secured with a padlock. There was some sort of sluice with a waterfall in it and a metal marker on the side to measure the depth of the water.

Finally, I came across the abandoned Reeve's cranberry bogs, named after William H. Reeves who used to be the Burlington County clerk and a Pine Barrens historian to boot. The road surrounding the bogs are closed to motorized vehicles so I didn't get very far around the bogs, but the remains of the packing and sorting house are visible as is a clearing where I assume the workers live. There was also a road off to the side - Reeves Road - that led to the site of a house. All that is left are the utility poles leading to the site, some bricks, and broken glass.

I made it to the ranger station and unfortunately nobody there could help me, but they did give me the number of the superintendant of Byrne State Forest who I am assured knows the forest "inside and out." Hopefully I will have an answer as to the location of the elusive glassworks village soon.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, I lived in Presidential Lakes (across 70 from Reeves Bogs) from 1966 to 1979. I used the know where (at least they told me so) the glass house was. I know the location and could find it.

I have a photo someone took of me when I was a longhair. I was on the second floor of the sorting house looking out the window. About 1977. I'll find and scan it for you.

The metal building is a gaging station. I loved that place and used to drive to it during heavy rains to check out the flow. That is McDonalds Branch.

bobaloo.

PS: aroung 1979?, I drove up to Reeves Bogs and the last piney was getting in his truck to leave it forever. I asked him why, he said the state was kicking him out. It was pretty sad.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Was the house that was down the little road across from the bogs still standing back then?

Let me know if you'd like to make a run out there one day - I'd like to find the location of the glass village.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, if its the same one I'm thinking on, it was still there. I posted that photo of me in my member gallery since I don't have a home page. I think I was about 23 in that photo. Where did the time go?

I love the area, we can go out there soon. I can show you the site of Mary Ann Forge across the highway in the woods too. Ain't been there in 25 years.

Yup, Yessiree..............

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob,

You kinda looked like Jim Morrison back then!

It's funny that you mentioned Mary Ann Forge because Guy and I were talking about going there and looking for the remains of the RR and the viaduct that Beck mentions in More Forgotten Towns in the "Lost in the Woods: One Railroad" chapter.

J

JeffD

That's because Jim Morrison is in hiding. Like Elvis, he appears occasionally, and shows up under an assumed name on bulletin boards and on outings with much shorter hair. I heard he occasionally still sings lead vocals with the Doors.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Why can't I find it?

My album is titled "bobpbx". The photo is the last one in the album right now.

When I was in there, a lot of the implements and tools of the cranberry trade were lying about. Nice windows in the attic, right? How would you like a view like that out your bedroom window?

bob

J

JeffD

Look under THE LIZARD KING, protector of lizards, snakes, and other reptiles in the Pine Barrens. :wink:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
It's funny that you mentioned Mary Ann Forge because Guy and I were talking about going there and looking for the remains of the RR and the viaduct that Beck mentions in More Forgotten Towns in the "Lost in the Woods: One Railroad" chapter.

I am sorry I did not go today Ben, but it has been a long week and I just wanted to take it easy this morning. I was mentally prepaired to have Saturday off, and going in to work bummed me out.

Anyway, maybe we can get Bob to go with us in within the next few weekends?

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Guy,

Bob and I went today. :) I will have a writeup done in a little bit.

I understand about needing some time off - you work really hard. It was a pretty long day today anyway. We can always go together some other weekend.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob,

Argh. Apparently we passed right by it.

The red lines on the map below are the tracks of where we drove today. Lebanon Glassworks is marked on the map with the X.

When we took the road off 72 - Glassworks Rd - we passed by it. I think that's the road that had the gate that was open. That road that goes in a loop is Campsite Loop. So those ruins that are near the campsite are probably part of the glassworks.

04-06-03-lebanon-tracks.png