The silence of the bugs

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/opinion/sunday/insects-bugs-naturalists-scientists.html

"Why care about this new silence of the bugs? An across-the-board decline in flying insects, if true, means that an entire sector of the animal kingdom is in trouble, representing an immense diversity of life-forms, from butterflies and beetles to hoverflies and damselflies. The eminent biologist Edward O. Wilson, who has spent much of his life studying ants, has warned: “If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.”"

Reactions: h2ochild

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is an interesting article and pretty much tells it like it is in many ways.

This is so true I believe.

Now such creatures are often ignored because studying them seems unlikely to generate publications, headlines or grants that provide academics with tenure and prestige.

And what kid in todays society will spend the few minutes without their cell phone to even look for a bug. Parents won't even let them near the woods because of the media constantly warning everyone of tick bites. It is something to worry about but not enough to keep your kids sheltered in the house.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is so true I believe.

Now such creatures are often ignored because studying them seems unlikely to generate publications, headlines or grants that provide academics with tenure and prestige.

And what kid in todays society will spend the few minutes without their cell phone to even look for a bug. Parents won't even let them near the woods because of the media constantly warning everyone of tick bites. It is something to worry about but not enough to keep your kids sheltered in the house.

So true. Rarely see kids just being kids, unless it is some organized activity like Little League or soccer. I've posted this before on kids and out of doors activities. It's a wired world anymore and I doubt that will change anytime soon. So sad.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...05/who-will-fill-the-boots-of-the-old-timers/