The sound of music

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm depressed. I straightened out the spaghetti mess of wires behind my computer, and now the sound system does not play the right speaker (Altec Lansing from 2001). I double checked all connections and did the usual checking in Windows for proper volume and balance. Does anybody have any ideas?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, Unplug the right speaker and plug the left speaker into the right speaker receptacle. If the left speaker works then there is a problem in the right speaker wire or in the speaker itself. If you don't hear anything from the left speaker in the right receptacle then the problem is something before the receptacle.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, Unplug the right speaker and plug the left speaker into the right speaker receptacle. If the left speaker works then there is a problem in the right speaker wire or in the speaker itself. If you don't hear anything from the left speaker in the right receptacle then the problem is something before the receptacle.

I can't Tom. This works differently. I have one line from the amp going to the right speaker. Its a large line and carries both sound and power. It is hard wired to the speaker. Then, a smaller line from the left speaker is inserted into the right speaker with a jack in order to tap into the sound. This smaller line from the left speaker is hardwired into the left speaker. The right speaker controls volume, bass, and treble.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would start all over by disconnecting everything and trying again.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Bob

I had a problem similar to yours a year back, i did an uninstall in device manager, rebooted, and windows fixed the problem on restart.

Another way is to possibly do a restore your computer to an earlier date in restore manager.

Just some suggestions, but it worked for me, but i am just a novice when it comes to computers.

Jim

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob

I had a problem similar to yours a year back, i did an uninstall in device manager, rebooted, and windows fixed the problem on restart.

Another way is to possibly do a restore your computer to an earlier date in restore manager.

Just some suggestions, but it worked for me, but i am just a novice when it comes to computers.

Jim

I've had this speaker system since 2000 or so. I think they are pretty much plug and play? I'll have to look for a possible CD in the other room. I did XP service pack 3 about 2 weeks ago, so I don't want to do any restores for awhile. I may really screw things up. I don't think Service Pack 3 did it, but I'll look into some chat boards. Maybe. I can't remember if this coincided with that install--I don't think it did.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I've had this speaker system since 2000 or so. I think they are pretty much plug and play? I'll have to look for a possible CD in the other room. I did XP service pack 3 about 2 weeks ago, so I don't want to do any restores for awhile. I may really screw things up. I don't think Service Pack 3 did it, but I'll look into some chat boards. Maybe. I can't remember if this coincided with that install--I don't think it did.

The friggin' Dead poisoned your speaker!