The Summit

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Anybody familiar with the "Highest Point in Camden County". I previously thought it was in Pine Hill but apparently it is right down the street from me down Cooper Road in Berlin. I have always avoided this place because there is a construction entrance sign, private no trespassing etc. I drove in the other day to check it out. Lots of trails and tons of trash, debris, evidence of serious dumping, partying etc. I drove down a few trails but they became impassable from either debris/logs or just too narrow. I plan on returning and hiking up to "The Summit". Anybody ever check this place out?
I have a feeling RedneckF350(Scott) and Teegate are probably familiar with this place.

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
long-a-coming said:
Anybody familiar with the "Highest Point in Camden County". I previously thought it was in Pine Hill but apparently it is right down the street from me down Cooper Road in Berlin. I have always avoided this place because there is a construction entrance sign, private no trespassing etc. I drove in the other day to check it out. Lots of trails and tons of trash, debris, evidence of serious dumping, partying etc. I drove down a few trails but they became impassable from either debris/logs or just too narrow. I plan on returning and hiking up to "The Summit". Anybody ever check this place out?
I have a feeling RedneckF350(Scott) and Teegate are probably familiar with this place.

I want directions

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I work right in an office park there. I would be cautious. The goings on you see signs of might make for trouble for you if John Law finds you in there.
Now, elevation?? Just messing around a little on Topo, not taking it as the absolute gospel, It is really only within 10 feet difference from the point on West Branch Ave In Pine Hill that is the most vantage point. Actually there is an area in Pine Hill near there that has a slightly higher elevation. I dinked around with my GPS in my work parking lot before because I found this as well. It seemed pretty close. And.... my work parking lot actually came up a few feet higher, which I couldn't believe, putting it closer the the spot in Pine Hill. I would have to say.... It's a tie.
g.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Camden County hi-point

Try this (may have to cut 'n paste the link):

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4407287&e=507546&s=48&size=l&datum=nad83

On the Burl. Co. line, but mostly in Cam. Co. We called this "Red Hill" as kids, & used to camp there. Couple of winters with good snow we even skiid & sledded back there. Don't know if its a housing project now or not.

According to topozone, its about 10 feet higher than the old Pine Hill ski area, which is probably the second highest.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Most excellent sledding gig !!
My work is just a hair West of there. As is Long-A-Coming's Summit. I was just about looking right at it and missed it. It's real close to the border though. That does indeed put Pine Hill at #2 with Summit being a tie or close third.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
amf said:
Try this (may have to cut 'n paste the link):

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4407287&e=507546&s=48&size=l&datum=nad83

On the Burl. Co. line, but mostly in Cam. Co. We called this "Red Hill" as kids, & used to camp there. Couple of winters with good snow we even skiid & sledded back there. Don't know if its a housing project now or not.

According to topozone, its about 10 feet higher than the old Pine Hill ski area, which is probably the second highest.

Largo and amf,

That is an interesting hill...did you ever see the Geodetic Marker on it called "Berlin"? Maurice Horner mentions that hill in "The History of Evesham Township. It is called Stony Mount and the stones and sandstone from that hill were used for foundation for houses in early Evesham.

The geodetic marker is noted in the map at your link by the letters "BM". There are even two Reference Markers there which I did not look for. The development is encroching on it and may now have already taken it since I was there for the last time a few years back and they were building right next to the hill. It is a very nice place and much more over grown than it was years ago when I first visited there in 1975. In fact here is a blurry photo taken of me and my friend at the marker in 1975. I am on the right.

9_75.jpg

And the marker which was reset in 1974 after being destroyed.

Berlin.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
evesham.JPG

And Long-A-Coming I think we discussed "your" hill in previous posts. I think janwor also was in the discussions so if you search her posts you should easily find it. If I get a minute I will check.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Guy,
Thanks yet again! ( you bugger ) for good info and cool picks on a topic.
As far as trekking in, I've entertained it a time or two on the way home but I am either wanting just to get home or at the entrance, John Law is parked anxiously awaiting the chance to pounce on wrong do-ers of Cooper Road.
On the weekends, I got plenty of places to be other than West Berlin N.J.
tromping around a purgatory of a construction site.
(No offense whatsoever to Long-A-Coming, I get enough of the W/B during the week)

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LARGO said:
Guy,
As far as trekking in, I've entertained it a time or two on the way home but I am either wanting just to get home or at the entrance, John Law is parked anxiously awaiting the chance to pounce on wrong do-ers of Cooper Road.
(No offense whatsoever to Long-A-Coming, I get enough of the W/B during the week)

G.

If things have not changed since I was there last, use a recent aerial photo or road map and you can drive through the new development at the base of the hill and walk right up side of it. There is a path part way up but to get to the marker you have to bushwhack.

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Once again I throw something out there which I really know virtually nothing about and I get a huge amount of info back from the fine folks on this site.
Thanks guys.

Anybody want to explore the area let me know. Might be better to do in the fall.
Tom

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
LARGO said:
Guy,

G.
None taken brother.
West berlin is my "gateway to the pines"

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
long-a-coming said:
None taken brother.
West berlin is my "gateway to the pines"

Cool, I would actually pull a late fall gig. Close to home, kids might like it if they chose to come. ( kid's are great insurance against John Law. He may feel schmucky busting your Kahoonies in front of the littlins' )
As for now, I've been "Chigged" a time or two on simple walks so I'm hangin' back. My "gateway" to the Pines in Waterford/Pestletown is basically right out my backyard.

G.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
TeeGate said:
That is an interesting hill...did you ever see the Geodetic Marker on it called "Berlin"? Maurice Horner mentions that hill in "The History of Evesham Township. It is called Stony Mount and the stones and sandstone from that hill were used for foundation for houses in early Evesham.

Guy

When we were kids we used to sled on the hill across Hopewell Road from Little Mill Country Club. The first hole is in the shadow of this hill. At the time there were no houses built on its slopes. The interesting thing is that everyone I knew called this hill Stone Mountain or Stony Mountain. I remember reading the account of mining stone for foundations in Evesham and I just assumed that Stone Mountain was the one I knew and loved. Perhaps I was off by a few miles. Does anyone else remember "my" hill and what it was called?

Thanks,
Rich

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
TeeGate said:

I'm really sorry to digress from the current discussion of hills but. . .
The above article mentions Cold Springs as a place on an old road that connected Berlin with Evesham. Does anyone have any idea as to the location of this site?

Background: Evans and Wills were cranberry farmers from Marlton and Evesham respectively. They co-owned Friendship, Willow Farm (now King's Grant) and Quoexen Bogs (one of only two working cranberry farms in Medford today). In 1930 they incorporated as "Evans and Wills" but the Evans family purchased a separate bog (existing) called Cold Springs in Evesham Township. I have picker tickets from this farm but was never able to lock down its location.

Perhaps if someone knows exactly where this road was located we could guess the likely location of the spring or the bogs. I have been trying to solve this mystery for 10 years now. I hated to take this thread in a different direction but I gotsta know.

Sorry and Thanks,
Rich

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Rich,
I started the thread after having a discussion in a local watering hole about the high points around the area. I'm also very interested in the old bogs in the area. Take the thread in any direction and roll with it, that's good info.
Speaking of Medford, I believe its Jones Road that runs past the Medford Acme and winds back around to this awesome little spot. Theres an old farm back there and a historical blue marker that dates back to the early 1800s. Anybody have any info on this spot.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Actually put this up in that "window" of lost posts.
I drive by this every day and of late the land clearing after a long dormant period has begun again on the Summit. Hot & heavy.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
Hey all,
I've been on hiatus from all things pines-related while at school but now that i'm home i've been checking back up on things, and i was happy to see this post about this hill that's practically in my backyard. i'm the one that placed the geocache (high point cache) on top of it. The proper way to approach is from my development, sturbridge woods. turn off of cooper into sturbridge, and follow forest hills drive in either direction (it loops around) to longwood road. at the end of longwood is an empty court and a trail that will lead you straight to the hill (veer left when there's a fork in the trail). there's another hill not far from there with somebody else's cache on it, and he posted the following interesting info on his cache page:

Depending on whose map you look at this anomaly in the piney woods is either 164 ft. or 172 ft. above sea level. Either way, it's a destination. There are several ways to get here, and several places to park.
According to the late Elizabeth Woodford (in a course on the Pine Barrens I took a long tme ago) these hills were formed when SJ was underwater, and when the ocean receded, it swept away all but these tough sandstone deposits, which remained as hills. There are several around- Apple Pie Hill, Doe Hill, Stoney Mt, Camden Co. High point, King of the Hill, etc.