Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
14310664_114791379263.jpg

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
I am curious about one thing, the 1920 census says Horace rented. Does the property in question here post date 1920 or could the property in question actually have belonged to someone else?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can see you headed over there early by the shadows :)

The property in question was owned by him at the time the map was made. That would have been the mid 1950s. Other than that you know as much as I do.

Are you related? You had the first photo you posted up pretty quick as if you had been there previously and taken it.

Thank you for the photo.

Guy

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
I can see you headed over there early by the shadows :)

The property in question was owned by him at the time the map was made. That would have been the mid 1950s. Other than that you know as much as I do.

Are you related? You had the first photo you posted up pretty quick as if you had been there previously and taken it.

Thank you for the photo.

Guy

The graves I posted are on a public web site called findagrave. It is a site, among others, I use in my chief hobby, genealogy. I also have access to the federal census' from 1930 and earlier. Draft card information is in the public domain but the easiest way to access them is by belonging to a site that does all the hard work. I use Ancestry.com.

This link will bring you to all the Pattens "Findagrave" has listed for the Pattens of Burlington County. I am not related to the Pattens.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=Patten&GScnty=1909&

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
that water was quite cold.I think it's time to break out the hip waders.

Guy what do you think a person would think if they ever came up on us on our hands and knees frantically stabbing the earth with pocket knives and upon questioning us as to our quest we answered we were looking for a stone?I would love to be a third party watching that scenario.We know were both sane but if they walked up at the wrong moment it could cause someone to wonder:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
rjb,

I am a member of FindAGrave.com also, and have used it for research. Thanks for the info.

Al,

I often wonder the same thing. I have sat down after doing that and looked in the trees for hunters who may be laughing at me. But I suspect we don't have to worry about that. How many people have you run into out where we were?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
skip,

Well, she must have been quite mad on Saturday. As Al said we were poking holes in her woods. BTW, if you look at the map I posted it show the word "State" and it is crossed off. I am wondering if they have purchased it since that was written on the map. We came to the house from the woods behind it and there are old No Trespassing signs in the front. I suspect they were just never taken down and the state owns it, but I am hoping I am correct.

Guy

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
Guy

Now that I think about it , seems she was more upset about it being the middle of the night and she was upset about hunters in HER woods, guess a 12 gauge will wake you, she must have been a lite sleeper..

You spend a lot of time in that area do you live near by?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy

Now that I think about it , seems she was more upset about it being the middle of the night and she was upset about hunters in HER woods, guess a 12 gauge will wake you, she must have been a lite sleeper..

You spend a lot of time in that area do you live near by?

No. I live in the Cherry Hill, Haddonfield area. I can be in Philly in 10 minutes in the middle of the night with no traffic.

I suspect from the info I can gather, you don't live anywhere around NJ. Correct?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I knew it was Texas I just did not want to post that. We seem to have more and more members from out of state anymore. This is a good thing.

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Minding my own business.

I was just hiking from Batsto to Bodine. Minding my own business and who do i run into.

2305419970104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

i was happy to see them, especially after the old guy with the machete who told of their house burning down in the 30"' on Friday the thirteenth. he also said he has or had 12 brothers and sisters:confused:

guy and al. it was readlly nice meeting yous.
KK

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nice meetin you too Karl.
By the way those woods behind us are not nice!
barefoot in novemeber.now if that ain't a flatwoods hillbilly I don't know what is.got my boots on the roof to dry on the way home(redneck boot dryer) but it doesn't work too well when the temp is below 60.been two days,their still up there and still soaked.have to bring em in by the heater and stink up the house.Wife complains i smell like swamp funk everytime i come back from the barrens:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karl,

It was nice meeting you. Hopefully we meet again and can talk longer. Thanks for posting the photo. Broken screen and all, it still is a viable camera :)

Jim,

Those woods in certain area's are really tough to get through. And finding the stones even with coordinates is a challenge. And it appears some of that property still is private contrary to what my info says. Some of them exist and they border Wharton and what was/is private property.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jim,
many of the concretes along the wharton border we have been finding out are underground.Some of these we've found by poking the ground,many others we can't find.Some have accompanying stones many of which are also buried but many don't.As Guy said the woods all in this area are rough.Wicked briars and thick brush.My legs currently look like hamburger and I had thick carhart pants on.So far all the stones have been tiny but one and that one was still buried.
Al

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
i was happy to see them, especially after the old guy with the machete who told of their house burning down in the 30"' on Friday the thirteenth. he also said he has or had 12 brothers and sisters:confused:

KK

Wow. What was he doing with the machette? Or, did you figure it was best not to ask?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
got my boots on the roof to dry on the way home(redneck boot dryer) but it doesn't work too well when the temp is below 60.been two days,their still up there and still soaked.have to bring em in by the heater and stink up the house.Wife complains i smell like swamp funk everytime i come back from the barrens:)
Al

Al, I have one of these. They work really well and the electricity they use is a tiny amount. Maybe you can get it for Christmas from Santa.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1