The tick that makes people allergic to red meat with one bite seems to be spreading

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
For years my wife Rosanne had been tick bitten. For years she got hives and once anaphylactic shock and went to the hospital.
Three years ago she read about this allergy in the Wall Street Journal, had our allergist test her for it - positive, She was lucky that she's allergic to beef alone; she can eat venison, bison, lamb, any other mammal. And she's also lucky in that she's among those that recover from the allergy - some never do. She's paranoid about ticks - took the pleasure out of going cross-countryanywhere.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter has been buying lamb lately and it is quite good. No need to have been with lamb around.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Someone brought me a lone star tick to identify last week,she found it attached to her here in Michigan, and she had not been out of the state. We haven't seen those here until now. They are most definitely spreading.
As a result, we're also seeing an increase in the spread of bobcat fever in domestic cats. One of my biggest fears, it's a terrible disease.