The Timber aka "Pine" Rattlesnake

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
Has anyone ever found a wild Timber Rattlesnake in the Pine Barrens? Just interested in hearing stories!

Check the old posts; I recall several mentions, including my own, of finding C. horridus in the pines. One episode I don't think I've related was that of how I found my first (and only) rattler hibernaculum in the pines. On a warm May day I was hiking along a small crick and in detouring around the north side of a slough I traversed a slight south-facing slope on which there were several adjacent deadfall trees - oaks as I recall. I sat on a sturdy exposed root to have my lunch (one ham-and-cheese on rye and one P&B on styrofoam bread for dessert. I know that's what I had because it's what I ALWAYS had, and always DO have for lunch on a day-hike!) As I was about to press on I noticed that there was a fresh-shed rattler skin among the roots near my boot, and another among some small exposed roots at ground level by the next deadfall, and yet another among the twigs of a fallen bough a few more yards away. After a few moments cogitation I figured I was close to - or within the surface limits of - a rattler den. A little close looking proved I was. Several light-phase and one melanistic - none very big - about two-footers all. Came back the next day and caught, marked, and released four. Other than at that den my encounters with rattlers in the pines were random events. My general impression of pine barrens timber rattlers was that they were pretty placid and slow-to-anger; always seemed to follow the discretion-is-the-better-part-of-valor rule. This was in contradistinction to the "attitude" of timbers I later encountered at some of the granite talus dens in Pennsylvania.

Dave

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
Has anyone ever found a wild Timber Rattlesnake in the Pine Barrens? Just interested in hearing stories!

Forgot to mention... you asked about finding "wild" rattlers; I was never aware of having found a domesticated one...

Dave

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Sounds similiar to Carl Kauffeld's rattlesnake encounter! Have you read that book? I just got it and read it for 2 1/2 HRs straight. It makes me want to get over in the Pines and herp right now.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Dave, I remember hearing that rattlers like south facing slopes to den in. For the record I have seen two rattlesnakes in the pines to date. A small one right next to Batona campground on Carranza rd. And a very large one deep in the woods south of Hampton furnance. Both were yellow phase.

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
Sounds similiar to Carl Kauffeld's rattlesnake encounter! Have you read that book? I just got it and read it for 2 1/2 HRs straight. It makes me want to get over in the Pines and herp right now.

My only recollection of Kauffeld recounting a rattler episode from the pines in one of his books was when he took a girlfriend back into the Mt. Misery den to see a rattler there. He also mentioned the same incident in one of the talks he gave at the S.I Zoo. in '54 or '55. On one of my boyhood visits (pilgrimages) to the SI Zoo Kauffeld and Bill Sommerfeld (Summerfield? He later became curator and then, I think, Director sometime after Kauffeld's death) got to reminiscing about rattlers in the pines and it was they who first pointed out to me the similarity of the timbers in the pines to the "Canebrake rattlers" of the southeast. Kauffeld was a real rattler aficianado and at one time had at least one representative of each of over 30 species of rattlers at the SI Zoo. Years later (in the late 90s) when I was helping on an archeological dig in ValVerde County in west Texas I ran into an old rancher who recalled Kauffeld hunting rattlers on his ranch (where we were digging). Claimed that he (Kauffeld) had caught a green rattler right at the dry cave we were excavating. The next morning when we returned to the cave for another day's digging, there was a little green rattler coiled right in the path to the entrance. Eerie.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Yeah when he brought the girl back to see the rattler was the last time he's found a rattlesnake at mt.misery. The first time seeing a rattlesnake for him- he was out collecting moss and ran across a rattlesnake on the trail. After bagging it, he found 3 more withing a 15 foot radius. From what i remember he's found about 7 rattlesnakes at Mt.Misery total, and only one other- i think near chatsworth. Why do i remember so clearly? Because i just purchased the book and am reading it now. IT's AWESOME. Makes me want to get out and explore the pines now.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Oh yeah- his den site was buldozed. The last rattlesnake was actually a dead one, found near the den site with it's tail (and maybe head) cut off. It was the last time he's ever returned to Mt.Misery, it was too sad for him to see. But his friend claims to have found 2 baby rattlesnakes in his woodpile, so i guess it's still worth checking out!

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
from what i remember reading the timber rattlers do pack a powerful punch of venom. i think if your a healthy adult and get help right away and dont panic i dont think i would worry.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
they are venomous, whether or not how venomous they are- dosen't matter. every venomous snake should be treated equally. away from that..
timber rattlesnakes are very docile ( the ones found in NJ ) To get bitten, you would of have to been really screwing with the snake.

I don't know if this is true or not, but a guy i know that works at Rutgers Cran/Blueberry research center told me that if you even get bitten by the timber rattlesnake in NJ you automatically get fined 500 bills, because you just of had to been messing with the snake. But besides that, don't worry about stepping on one. The chances are slim to nothing, us who actually look for them have a hard enough time in finding one!!!

-Brandon

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
they are venomous, whether or not how venomous they are- dosen't matter. every venomous snake should be treated equally. away from that..

Keep in mind that snake venoms are the the product of modified salivary glands. Toxic spit, if you will (or, for that matter, if you won't...). Some snakes have toxic saliva as well as efficient delivery mechanisms (fangs - hinged or permanently erect - in the front of the upper jaw)sufficiently efficient to pose a hazard to humans that are bitten. Also , one who is "bitten" is at far greater risk than is one who is merely "struck" Both actions can leave the characteristic two-hole marks, but a "bite" almost invariably involves inserting the fangs into the antagoniost AND a bearing down by the jaw muscles which put pressure on the venom sacs resulting in actual injection of venom into the fang wound. A "strike", although accompanied by fang penetration, is less likely to be accompanied by injection of venom from the venom sacs into the fang wound.

Some snakes generally thought "harmless" and "non-venomous" do, indeed, have toxic saliva/venom with which they subdue their small prey, but which is far less toxic to larger mammals than that of rattlers, copperheads, mocassins, and coral snakes. The hognosed snake, and ring-necked snake fit under this latter rubric. It's even been reported that the good ol' garden variety garter snake has a mild venom that enters its prey via the wounds of its many small teeth.

It is interesting that the bite of the copperhead is considered of less severity and dangerous to humans than are the bites of rattlers and moccasins. But the copperhead's venom is, paradoxically, more toxic than that of most rattlers and the mocassin. The catch is that the Copperhed has very short fangs and delivers a far smaller amount of venom with each bite than do the other pit vipers that are (justly) more feared.

Dave

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Timbers

In 22 years of herping the pines, I have only found 1 Timber- Gravid female in Ocean County. Not expecting it, she was quite a suprise! This was 5 years ago and since then, I have revisited the site and have not seen her again. Now, I am careful where I place my hands!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Krloucks said:
In 22 years of herping the pines, I have only found 1 Timber- Gravid female in Ocean County. Not expecting it, she was quite a suprise! This was 5 years ago and since then, I have revisited the site and have not seen her again. Now, I am careful where I place my hands!

Krloucks,

I just looked over your gallery and noticed what I believe to be a familiar bridge in one of them. Do you recognize it Jeff and Bob?

http://images.kodakgallery.com/serv...tos1227/1/60/49/26/65/1/165264960106_0_BG.jpg

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
When I clicked on this it said "forbidden", when I went to the image gallery, the photos were a bit too small to see clearly, so I don't know what bridge you are referring to. Although, the fact that you asked Bob and I specifically gives me a good idea. Was it a bridge we saw the very first time we got together?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
When I clicked on this it said "forbidden", when I went to the image gallery, the photos were a bit too small to see clearly, so I don't know what bridge you are referring to. Although, the fact that you asked Bob and I specifically gives me a good idea. Was it a bridge we saw the very first time we got together?

Jeff

I wonder why ou can't see it? I just clicked on the link and went right to it again.

Anyway, yes I believe it is that bridge where the house is right up the hill and I was walking around in the water and picked up an item off the bottom.

Use this link and click on the far right little photo.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/krloucks/lebanon

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Hmmm, only if you were looking upstream. It was a lot wider I thought where you were walking. Also, if you were looking upstream the broken part of the decking would be on the left, no?

Ok...I just looked our photo's over and I may be wrong. It looks like there are more boards off of that bridge than the one we were on.

Guy

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Lebanon and the old bridge

You guys are getting closer! It is a beautiful spot. I can't call the park Brendon Byrne, sorry, it has always been and always will be "Lebanon" to me. Only an hour drive for me, I spend several several afternoons a summer hiking through the park. Though not my usual herp spot, I have found the following in and around the area- Hognose (melanistic), N. Pine, Racer(of course) N. Water, E.garter, Ribbon, Worm snakes, painted, redbellied, spotted, musk and box turtles and the three lizard species. Several different frog species.
BTW, the pine was crossing the road in front of Pakim pond!
K