The True Environmentalists and Atlantic white cedar

J

JeffD

The overall health of the forest in the Mid-Atlantic region is good, according to a University of Michigan report, in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service. . The report shows that 81 percent of the forest ownership in the region is private, non-industrial, five percent industrial, and 14 percent public. It is the private sector that is responsible for the vast majority of forestland in the mid-atlantic region, and, as the report says, it is doing a good job of keeping the forest healthy.

The New Jersey Forest Service reports that the Atlantic white cedar, which grows mainly in the Pine Barrens, has been steadily on the decline in New Jersey. Once there were 115,000 acres scattered throughout the state, with stands in the Meadowlands and the Sandy Hook area as well as in the Pine Barrens. Now there are less than 30,000 acres of Atlantic white cedar, mainly in the Pine Barrens.

In a study of Atlantic white cedar in Bass River State Forest, it was determined that the average age of the stands was 40-50 years old, and that there are no young stands growing in Bass River State Forest. When Atlantic cedar starts to grow old, it is replaced by more shade tolerent hardwood species. 15,000 acres of Atlantic white cedar are converting to hardwood forests, with the main tree red maple.

There are many factors that the NJ foresters attribute to the decline in the Atlantic white cedar population, including deer browsing, wildfire, theft and illegal harvesting, a rise in sea level, loss of wetland habitat, deer browsing, and improper management.

To increase the acreage of Atlantic white cedar, the New Jersey Forest Service established the Atlantic White Cedar Initiative (AWCI) in 1995. The AWCI comprises representatives of the NJ Forest Service, Rutgers University, Stockton State College, New Jersey Pinelands Commission, NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, and the NJ Forestry Association, as well as private resource management consultants. A goal of the AWCI is to encourage cooperation between agencies, researchers, private landowners and the public.

The New Jersey Forest Service has erected fences to keep deer from browsing on Atlantic white cedar saplings. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/forestry/service/njfs_awc_restoration_methods.html

Besides erecting fences to protect Atlantic white cedar from deer, the forest service is also selecting and preparing sites to replant Atlantic white cedar.

The New Jersey Division of Parks and Forests is responsible for the stewardship of 326,000 acres of forest. About 66,200 acres in the Pine Barrens is designated as agricultural production areas, where blocks of more than 1,000 acres of active farmland and adjacent farm soil are part of a mosiac of field and forest found in the heart of southern New Jersey. Cranberry bog expansion is one of the reasons listed for the decline in Atlantic white pine population. The majority of forest acreage in the Pine Barrens, where many bogs exist, some of which are abandoned cranberry bogs, is the domain of New Jersey Forest Service.

Proper management is the most important way to acheive the goal of increasing the population of Atlantic white cedar. Sound silviculture, the practice of tending the forest, is the key to proper management. Atlantic white cedar is a shade intolerant tree, so it grows best in pure, even age stands. Like a good gardener, silviculture is a way to quickly and efficiently foster the growth of a healthy plant, in this case, Atlantic white cedar. Managing a forest wisely keeps it healthy, protecting it from destruction from insects, such as the Southern Bark Beetle, helps keep the water clean, provides wildlife habitat, prevent erosion and flooding as well as keeps the forest beautiful. The WOODLAND STEWARD explains the benefits and kinds of silvicultural practices. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/forestry/community/SILVI.html

In one of the many hearings the Congressional Subcommittee of Forests and Forest Health held to address the protection of communities from wildfire, it solicitied advice from the private sector for ways to best manage our public forests. Millions of acres of public forests, overstocked and disease ridden, with dead wood strewn on the forest floor, stand as tinderboxes awaiting a lighting strike to create monster wildfires that will turn them into wastelands. Private landowner , Dr. A G "Skeet" Burris shared how he uses the right tools to successfully manage his tree farm. http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/106cong/forests/00sep14/burris.htm

The AWCI committee needs to take the advice of people such as the professional foresters in the New Jersey Forest Service as well as work with private landowners and contract with loggers to help restore and sustain the Atlantic white cedar as well as maintain the health and integrity of the Pine Barrens. For they are the true conservationists.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
JeffD said:
the New Jersey Forest Service established the Atlantic White Cedar Initiative (AWCI) in 1995. The AWCI comprises representatives of the NJ Forest Service, Rutgers University, Stockton State College, New Jersey Pinelands Commission, NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, and the NJ Forestry Association, as well as private resource management consultants. A goal of the AWCI is to encourage cooperation between agencies, researchers, private landowners and the public......

The AWCI committee needs to take the advice of people such as the professional foresters in the New Jersey Forest Service as well as work with private landowners and contract with loggers to help restore and sustain the Atlantic white cedar as well as maintain the health and integrity of the Pine Barrens. For they are the true conservationists.

Jeff, this summary of several web sites is indeed informative, and shows there are a lot of stakeholders working to revitalize Atlantic White Cedar. I was fine with most of it, as you certainly maintained a balance throughout the summary, and where you might not have agreed with some of it, you did not leave anything out (such as the fact that wetlands destruction did destroy some of the cedar).

However, it always seems you have to maintain this "us" versus "them" attitude toward environmentalists. You really should stop that, as it discolors your whole presentation, and makes it seem you have this unreasonable and irrational slow burn towards environmentalists and their thinking. In your title: "The True Environmentalists and Atlantic white cedar", you elude to the supposition there are many untrue environmentalists out there, and you want to set the record straight. Do you have to drag us through that old story again? You also say in your final paragraph that...

"The AWCI committee needs to take the advice of people such as the professional foresters in the New Jersey Forest Service as well as work with private landowners and contract with loggers to help restore and sustain the Atlantic white cedar as well as maintain the health and integrity of the Pine Barrens. For they are the true conservationists"

If I look at the committee makeup, it is pretty extensive, there are quite a few professional foresters in that group, and for all you know, there are people on the committe who may log trees on the side. So maybe they are taking their advice as "true conservationists" already.

Just giving you another viewpoint Jeff. I grow weary of seeing the same group type being knocked on the head. For in reality, I am one of those rabid environmentalists. I think with my heart when it comes to nature instead of my head. Does that make me a bad person? I'm a nice guy!
:D

J

JeffD

I wouldn't cut it down either, Ben, if Bob were up in the tree. :lol:

Personally, I think you are allright, Bob. You were concerned when my little dog started shivering on the last outing we both attended (and she warmed up fine after I snuggled her inside my sweatshirt and coat for awhile), and you made sure I got out of the woods OK with my regular vehicle.

But there is a certain environmental camp, the fringe, that has extreme, impracticle plans which they want to impose on the rest of us. THEY are the ones who make it "us against them", with their incessant cheap shots at industry, (which they believe are inherently evil), their unfounded digs at Republicans, etc. I don't think that they should have a free pass but should be held accountable. There are those in the environmental movement, such as Steve McCormick, who heads a large environmental group, who wants to hold the organization accountable and is calling for reform.

Renee recently emailed me and mentioned a meeting that addressed fire in the Pine Barres where the attendess came from different backgrounds. They didn't agree on everything, but this is the way it should be. It's good that bodies that make land use decisions are balanced.

Naturalists and foresters can learn from one another. I believe that John Muir and Giffort Pinchot learned from one another. I also believe that Patrick Moore is helping loggers to log in an environmentally friendly way.

I'm glad my post came off as balanced. I'm constantly learning and I have questions about things such as wetlands. When I visited the Pine Barrens room this past Saturday, one display mentioned that Marthas Bog was open as a result of logging. Another thing I've been wondering about is how the NJ Conservation Foundation is doing in taking possession of the land Garfield DeMarco sold them at a cut rate. I would think that with open bog land, and Atlantic white cedar growing best in pure, even-age stands, that the foundation could get a nice fresh start in fostering Atlantic white cedar on the property. You know what, if they ever do this, if I'm available, I'd like to help with the planting.

Maybe I'll see you Saturday at the State Museum in Trenton at 11 a.m. It would be nice to have your comments about Marthas bog. I'll feel safer as people whose views are close to mine are there and there are guards. :wink: 8)

J

JeffD

The link below illustrates the "us against them" mentality instigated by a bunch of elitists who lobby in Washington and eat caviar and drink champaign and file frivilous lawsuits, etc. from their lavish Ivory Towers in an attempt to dictate to ordinary people and those who work the land how the land should be managed (or not managed). I agree with the congressman that the sportmen's groups, etc and others who use and those who work the land are the ones who really care and do something about being a good steward of our natural resources. These folks, as James Hansen explains, were excluded from the Earth Day celebration.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/press/2001_0422Earthday1.htm

And, as the link below shows, there are those who claim to be the true environmentalists. They, like the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor and Osama Bin Laden, are the ones who started the fight.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/press/2001/2001_0422earthdaytribune.htm

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here's an idea of the people whom I am most afraid of.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm

Go to the ELF's website. The attached picture below - a ski resort on fire - is what greets you when you first go in.

Continue on - there's an article "Setting Fires With Electrical Timers - An Earth Liberation Front Guide." Another one "Arson Around with Auntie ELF - Your Guide to Putting the Heat on Animal Abusers Everywhere."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
For in reality, I am one of those rabid environmentalists. I think with my heart when it comes to nature instead of my head. Does that make me a bad person? I'm a nice guy!
:D

Bob,

I can say without hesitation that NOBODY in our group dislikes you, and yes you are a nice guy, even though I am the only true Guy :p

But there may be times that thinking with your heart is not always the best way. I actually believe strongly in open space, etc, etc, but there are times when we all must put our "heart" feelings aside and realize there needs to be compromise. If that means giving a little, so be it. I think that is all Jeff wants.

Guy