Then and Now 3/29/08 and Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I today made an attempt to find a large cedar post in the swamps off the power lines where Al and I were recently, and we turned back 400 feet from our destination. We will return again after reviewing out tracks. Anyway, I did not have the photo with me to be in the exact spot; however, I was able to take a Then and Now photo at the location where we killed Gabe on the PBX Alquatka hike.

3/29/08

IMG_0709.JPG

And today. The logs are still there. Sorry it is slightly blurry and not in the perfect spot.

IMG_2864.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found this plant today. First, it looks like an onion.

IMG_2862.jpg

Then this.

IMG_2860.jpg

Then the flower

IMG_2863.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy,
Are you trying to kill your daughter? Your supposed to love her!:)
Hats off to jess for surviving the beast!Did you look for the stone again? Did you go in from the north again? Looking at the aerial I think the southern approach looks much easier.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al,

We easily made it to the power lines and walked to the wet area where we entered what I thought and what appeared to be savannahs. However, I did not look at the more recent aerials to see that what was savannahs back in 1995 have been replaced by some nasty tall ferns and other annoying bushes. It was wet, but not too bad until we were about 400 feet from the post. I could have continued on but decoded it was best we turn around. She fell once and could not get up, and I waited 50 feet away in ferns over her head until she made it back up.

On the way back it was funny to see this flattened area where she rolled around until she was able to use her stick to push up on to stand. Looking over the aerial now we only had about 200 feet to go to get to a much more open area, but she was getting hot and started to hurl so it was time to bail. She kept drinking and that always causes her problems. She was good about it and has no regrets about the day. She is pretty tough at times, most likely the only female to be there in hundreds of years if not more.

Here are the ferns that were over her head and almost over mine.

IMG_2855.JPG

Tracks

tracks.jpg

That area is ripe for exploring. It is wild!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That plant is most likely Saggitaria latifolia Guy (common arrowhead). I'm surprised you did not see the arrow-shaped leaves.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al,

We easily made it to the power lines and walked to the wet area where we entered what I thought and what appeared to be savannahs. However, I did not look at the more recent aerials to see that what was savannahs back in 1995 have been replaced by some nasty tall ferns and other annoying bushes. It was wet, but not too bad until we were about 400 feet from the post. I could have continued on but decoded it was best we turn around. She fell once and could not get up, and I waited 50 feet away in ferns over her head until she made it back up.

On the way back it was funny to see this flattened area where she rolled around until she was able to use her stick to push up on to stand. Looking over the aerial now we only had about 200 feet to go to get to a much more open area, but she was getting hot and started to hurl so it was time to bail. She kept drinking and that always causes her problems. She was good about it and has no regrets about the day. She is pretty tough at times, most likely the only female to be there in hundreds of years if not more.

Here are the ferns that were over her head and almost over mine.

[

That area is ripe for exploring. It is wild!

Guy

have you checked out the southern access yet next to atco raceway? it looks doable to me.of course the swamp is still the swamp and that post location is right in the middle of it but the actual stone location I believe would be got to easier from the sout