These secluded 60-year-old fishing cabins could be demolished by the state

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If the state purchased the 4 on now state land and hey want them removed, what's the beef? A similar situation occurred when Island Beach SP was created. The shack owners were given leases that expire with the last direct descendent passing. A good friend was creating a history of the shacks, but passed before it was completed. I heard someone from Rutger's had picked up the project but nothing since.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2010/09/in_the_dunes_of_island_beach_a.html

The Judges shack has endured thru every storm; some history at the link from the NJ Beach Buggy Associations web site.

www.njbba.org/docs/Judge's Shack.pdf

81988505.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There is a little disparity in the story. The story indicates that "None of the cabins are ever locked. They are open for anyone's use."

And yet, the sign inside Liber's says his unlocked cabin is here for the use of:

1) Those who built it.
2) Those who work to keep it.
3) Those who are invited.

I'm not saying he does not have those rights, because he does. I'm just saying, if I go in and read that sign, I'd feel unwelcome and that I'm trespassing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems to me the ones who own property should be left alone.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
If they own the property, especially in fee simple, by what right does the State have to demolish or do anything on the property?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, these may be the ones Scott has talked about????????