Things that shouldn't be done in the Pines.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I don't like to give folks a hard time, nor do I find much gratification in preaching, but I need to get a few things off my chest. Hopefully, this post may provoke some people to be a bit more mindful when it comes to the way they treat the Pine Barrens. And to the regular posters here, no, this is in no way directed at you.

Here goes nothing...

To certain 4-wheelers: Please stop destroying the wetlands. Don't drive through streams. When you do that, you are actually doing much more harm than you might begin to imagine. You are tampering with the hydrology of the area, wreaking havoc upon the plantlife and the animal life (even if they ain't got no feelins), and you are turning a beautiful, pristine sight into a war-zone. Also, please don't drive along the shoreline. When you do that, you are contributing to a much faster rate of beach erosion, which in turn effects the very course of the stream. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against 4 wheeling per se, as I myself own a 4x4 which I occasionally drive into the Pines.

To certain fire-makers: One fire pit in a small area is plenty. Don't over-do it. For example, there is a beach on the upper Mullica river to which I recently hiked and, to my dismay, found that there are now several pits there. Aside from being eye-sores, these stains on the beach are littered with broken glass and half-melted cans. C'mon, give it a rest already. What's more is that, on that same day, I came across two different fire pits directly in the middle of a hiking trail. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fires per se, and I understand that sometimes cirumstances might call for one to build a fire (as I once did when my canoe tipped and ejected me into the bitter cold water). But use your sense about it. Pick a sensible location. Use a pit that is already in existence, if possible. Leave no litter in it. Cover it up.

Finally, to all the litter-bugs out there, enough already. No need to leave your signature all over the land. The way we treat the Pines reflects the way we treat ourselves and others. Let's all be nice.

If anyone would like to add something to this list, do so by all means. Consciousness begets consciousness; responsibility begets responsibility.

pinelandpaddler said:
If anyone would like to add something to this list, do so by all means. Consciousness begets consciousness; responsibility begets responsibility.

OK, here's mine.
Why do all the damn cellophane balloons ever produced have to land in the Pines? It is impossible to hike in deep remote places and not find them. We need to band together and petition the government to erect antiaircraft guns around the Pines to shoot those "ambiquitous" balloons down over populated areas and keep them out of our Pines.

Thanks for listening,

Steve

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Yes with all the money we spend in NJ. There should be at least 1,243 of them in place already. See the pine attracts other then us.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I think it wrong to deny balloons their right to the Pines, seeing that they obviously love the place as much as we do.

Respectfully in disagreement,

Gabe

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
BEHR655 said:
OK, here's mine.
Why do all the damn cellophane balloons ever produced have to land in the Pines?

Sure enough I saw one on my way out of the woods yesterday.Powder blue,cute. Sadly I was on a part of Quaker bridge road that I needed to move up to get out of the way of another vehicle on my way out. couldn't stop. But then if I stopped for every piece I preferred to pick up, me & my lad would still be out there.

For me one of the biggest and crappiest offenses. Furniture.
Why the woods !! What a bugger to get out.
Didn't anyone ever hear of Berlin Farmers market. It would fit right in.

G.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
On sunday I was out on my motorcyle and came across an unattended campfire in a sandy area. Sandy or not, there was enough dead grass about to spread the fire to the adjacent woods. I found an old paint bucket and walked to a nearby creek (pole bridge branch) to get water. as I was walking down to the waters edge I heard a hissing noise. I started looking around and saw a propane tank (looked like a propane tank) on the ground...hissing-releasing gas. Can you believe it? I had no idea what to do about that. I left it, figuring it would run out eventually. I got water and put out the fire. I had come across a camp fire left burnning in Greenwood WMA one time also.

The worst is the garbage though. That is the worst!!

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have to agree with Steve on the baloons. Terrible.

One thing I noticed in the Parker Preserve. There was no trash, none at all. The big landowners do take care of the land in that respect.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Someone left a horrible mess at Bodine's Field last summer. It was the area near the river and to the right of the beach area. It was unbelievable to see just how ignorant these people must have been. They even discarded their tent, it was a cheap tent all crumpled up in the middle of the vast refuse strewn about the location. I mean, they literally just threw everything on the ground that they didn't need.

MokoTu

Jan 24, 2006
Jursea Green Zone
Just like to say , good post. I always try to pick up and back out trash that other people leave. even when paddle'n. I just cant understand why people would want to leave garbage in an area they came to enjoy too. :bear: It's just sad that it sometimes looks like we came from the market with all the plastic bags garbage we're carrying out.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Great topic for discussion, I wish there was a way to take it global. Perhaps more patrols from rangers, or at least more signage warning of hefty fines. Sadly, the Pines have no monopoly on blatant disregard for wetlands or the ever present garbage issue, last year in Assateague I watched in dismay as some wild horses rummaged through trash campers left behind. Standards of how to behave oneself should be second nature, but as you pointed out slobs and irresponsibe 4X4 owners seem to be in the majority. I cleaned up a TON of Garbage a month ago at Lower Forge, and then packed it 7 miles out. Perhaps we could sponser a Wall Of Shame were the damage could be displayed in local newspapers and ranger stations. This way maybe people would think twice about what they are doing.
My personal peeve is people not respecting the Batona Trail as a Foot Path. It is intended for hiking only, not horses bikes, or motorcross. These other forms of transportation not only widen the path, but help destroy a fragile ecosystem. I do believe that as many interested and passionate people we have here we can come up with some effective and positive ways to help effect change. Lets do it; KEEP THE PINES PRISTINE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO ENJOY!

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
I was out in the Pines about 2 weeks ago. I only found two instances of garbage - an empty six pack of beer and an emty liquor bottle. Normally, I would have picked them up and disposed of properly, but I was worried about running into an ranger or cop and getting charged with an 'open container' charge. Anyone know anything about this? Was I just paranoid?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Windsor said:
I was out in the Pines about 2 weeks ago. I only found two instances of garbage - an empty six pack of beer and an emty liquor bottle. Normally, I would have picked them up and disposed of properly, but I was worried about running into an ranger or cop and getting charged with an 'open container' charge. Anyone know anything about this? Was I just paranoid?

Please don't let that stop you. The law is obvious but, the officer is realistic. No matter what medium I use, ( obviously you are safe walking )
I take stuff out. Now, This weekend for instance, if I was stopped in my car and my little baggie searched which is obviously trash, You see a couple smirnoff Ice bottles, coors lite cans,pepsi, seven up,bud bottles, etc. and ... a SCOTTSDALE 20 emblem.
o.k. so, you look responsible ( I hope ) and you have a selection of booze bottles that don't look very consistant and are full of dirt,needles,leaves....
Get the picture. They won't bother you unless you are some serious jerk and you get one mad enough to try that angle so please, pick it up.
Now if you got no bag, maybe tossin' the stuff in the back of the Jeep ain't so good a plan. That don't look good if ya know what I mean.
look, I'm often out when my mode of transportation is just a much a worry as carrying beer bottles but it doesn't stop me from picking them up.
I would like to think that the police,rangers,forestry persons, etc.
really appreciate that effort. Thanks for your efforts.
Drive on.

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Thanks LARGO. The rangers I've met back there so far have been good people, so I guess they wouldn't harrass me. It might be good to stock up on some of those trash bags they give you at the ranger station. That way, the truth of a cleanup effort would be better observed. Good points in your post. Thanks!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Litter

Whenever my friend Tom and I went canoeing in the pines, we would bring trash bags to cart out the trash. In Juniper Prairie Wilderness Area (Ocala Forest, FL) all canoeists are forbidden to take disposable articles--water jug or canteen is OK, but no cans or bottles, to keep the creek prisitine. It works, but the entrance to the stream is within a park entrance area and so is manned by rangers. But I'm like y'all, you're canoeing down a beautiful cedar-water stream, and look down to see "Bud" staring you in the face, or his cousin "Pepsi"...arrrrrgggghhhh!@#$*%#$#@ We picked up everything, though, without thought to what the ranger would think--heck, you can tell it's old, slimey, cruddy crap!

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Someone once did a study in state parks about the chronology, cultural affiliation and preferences of "party sites" in the parks based on pop-top distributions. I can't recall off the top of my head who it was though. All I know is that I have a pop-top/pull-tab identification chart, which I believe was from something published about the matter in National Geographic some time ago.

Not that I support littering or anything. But it's interesting to think about when litter becomes artifact becomes history becomes art... The "Odyssey of the Artifact" an old professor once called it.

But yeah, don't litter. :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Does njpb ever meet as a group to have "clean up" trips? It might be a good way to meet like minded people. Plus, sometimes there too many soda & beer cans for one person (I know that's hard to believe).

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
piker56 said:
Does njpb ever meet as a group to have "clean up" trips? It might be a good way to meet like minded people. Plus, sometimes there too many soda & beer cans for one person (I know that's hard to believe).

I guess that would be a tough one. Considering everyone's combined PineBarrens interests and geography, we would have to start at the top & work our way to the bottom. Anyone gotta a couple years free?

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Clean Machine

piker56 said:
Yeah, I'm game if you're willing to pay round-trip fare from Florida! Hey, Piker Man, I thought you and Tom M were the PineBarrens trash crew from heaven--I remember seeing you guys with two canoes FILLED with bottles, cans, baggies, transmissions, dud bombs, license plates, aircraft nosegear, discarded firearms, fishing line and sinkers,and other recyclable human discards!!!! You were "The Men" way back in the 70's!!!!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Furball1 said:
I remember seeing you guys with two canoes FILLED with bottles, cans, baggies, transmissions, dud bombs, license plates, aircraft nosegear, discarded firearms, fishing line and sinkers,and other recyclable human discards!!!! You were "The Men" way back in the 70's!!!!

Transmissions? Aircraft nosegear? I think I need a much bigger canoe Furball!:)