Things you find while driving around....

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
My wife and I took a ride this past Saturday. We took a ride to Batsto and a loop around Bulltown. While on Bulltown, she noticed this in the tree. At first she thought it was deer until she realized what it actually was. I guess someone had some free time on their hands. Also found this situation on Hawkins Bridge Road headed towards Friendship. It was possibly an out of towner because it was tagged but the tag looked white and was only on the rear.
Also passed an Acura car headed back to them after I passed them. Busy day in the woods but I loved riding around with the top down on the Jee
treehorse.jpg
sxs.jpg
p.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It really would be interesting to know what that was about. Maybe just informative.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Looks like they have helmets on. If the unit is registered and insured I thought they can only give them a trespassing ticket?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am seeing more and more UTV's in "my" State woods literally every week. Park Police Enforcement has become non-existent down here over the last three years. I had a hunt ruined during muzzleloader by a UTV carrying four kids and blasting rap music through what sounded like a PA system. I heard them coming toward me for over a mile.
Looks like they have helmets on. If the unit is registered and insured I thought they can only give them a trespassing ticket?
UTV's are not legal on public roads or in State Parks and Forests.

Reactions: TommyP

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
They did have helmets on. I thought they were illegal in the State Forest period so it did not matter if they were registered and insured in this state or any other state.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Years ago I ran across a Dad & 2 kids riding quads. The rode slowly, passed respectfully, seemed like they were doing everything thing right. Later in the day we stopped & chatted. I told them I appreciate them riding responsibly but they are illegal. Dad's jaw dropped. He told me that the dealer that sold them the machines stated it was legal to ride the state forest.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Years ago I ran across a Dad & 2 kids riding quads. The rode slowly, passed respectfully, seemed like they were doing everything thing right. Later in the day we stopped & chatted. I told them I appreciate them riding responsibly but they are illegal. Dad's jaw dropped. He told me that the dealer that sold them the machines stated it was legal to ride the state forest.
He should have investigated that before buying.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Many people think they can because NJ has and has had, for a very long time, a completely bogus registration procedure (requirement) that earns you the ability to do absolutely nothing on your ATV.

Read this and just imagine all of the poor shi&heads out there that fell for it. They have unknowingly made a donation to keep the heat on at Drumthwacket or perhaps paid for some dental work for our Jack-o-lantern-toothed Governor. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This line says it all.

• ATV and Dirt Bike use is prohibited in all New Jersey State Parks and Forests – no exceptions.

Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Many people think they can because NJ has and has had, for a very long time, a completely bogus registration procedure (requirement) that earns you the ability to do absolutely nothing on your ATV.
I always wondered about that, but never looked into it. I wonder if there was more to it than money for the state. They lilkely also wanted people to have liabiltiy insurance in case they injured others no matter where they were.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Yes, they are Illegal to ride in state forests but people still continue to ride them regardless. If the unit is registered and insured and they ride illegally on state lands they can only be given a ticket for that. If they ride a motor vehicle that is not registered or insured as per state law it can be impounded. Another issue is that some states allow the legal use of a ATV/UTV on roads or classify them as motorcycles. People register these in states that allow on road driving and install the required equipment to meet NJ Class 1 ORV standards. In my town there are at least 2 RZRs that have license plates and drive on the roads. Drive by Lucilles on the weekends and you will see them there. This is just one of the websites I randomly searched for.
https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/side-by-side-utv-street-legal

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
@RednekF350 I bet that PA sound system wasn't nearly as loud as a kid riding a CR 480R!
Well you got me there. :) However, I was always sensitive to other legal woods users back in the day because I have always been a hunter and would never go blasting through the woods a half hour before dark. I also would pull off and shut down when I encountered horses.
I was 25 when I bought that bike. It may be breathing fire again this summer. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: c1nj