Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Now THIS is a tree:

aba.sized.jpg

I had the un-enviable task of closing up my company's office in San Jose, CA this weekend. I worked for a while on Sunday, and then decided to find a place to go hiking and explore. The "Welcome to the Bay Area" guide in my hotel room mentioned Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California's oldest State Park, which contains 18,000 acres of old growth and recovering forest, many of it Redwoods.

Well, the drive there was amazing. I love mountain driving, but in New Jersey you rarely ever get the chance. :) The road was long, narrow, and twisty. I had fun with my rented Subaru Outback and the Adam Sandler CD I found in some laid-off employees desk. It took about an hour to get there, but it was well worth the drive.

I heard about a trail in the park that lead to "Buzzards Roost" the highest elevation in the park at 2200'. Deciding that I was up to the challenge, I took off. Being the out of shape slob that I am, I found it difficult, but fun. It changes 1200' of elevation in just 2 miles, a lot of the shift occurring suddenly. The trail also gets much narrower and less maintained as you reach the top. I accidentally wandered off the trail to a cliff face, and wondered if I was supposed to climb up. I made it about 1/2 way when I realized that I could fall and kill myself and that I was better off going back down. Retracing my steps, I found where the trail was supposed to go and followed it up to the top.

The view from the top was incredible. It was amazing to see miles and miles of unspoiled trees and mountains in every direction. I had the summit all to myself - in fact the trail was pretty much empty. There was a benchmark at the tip of the mountain that I will look up later.

Several times as I was going up I was really temped to stop and turn around. I'm glad that I pressed on. It was a great sense of accomplishment to get to the top. The amazing thing was walking through the giant redwood forest hearing NOTHING except the rustling of leaves and the sounds of a brook that followed the path. It made me realize how insignifigant we are, and how selfish it is how we destroy nature. I can finally see why some people are fanatics about the environment. I'm officially a tree hugger, even though I can't get my arms around a Redwood.

The interesting thing was how different it was from the Pine Barrens at the lower elevations. I would say that most of the Pine Barrens is less than 100 years old. To see trees that have been around for thousands of years is amazing. Once you get to the higher elevations and the Redwoods thin out, Pines take over. They're so different than our Pitch Pines, though. They're smaller, and their cones fall open.

Here's a ton of photos: http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~bruset/album34

Most of them have camera shake, since the light in the forest was pretty low. So look at the mid-sized images and don't look too hard at the images in full size since many of them are blurry. :(

I'll be on the plane back to NJ tomorrow. And then in a week or so, I'm off to Denver.

B

BarryC

Great pictures. I envy you. The trees- that's the main reason I want to go to California some day. I want to see the Redwoods like you saw, the Giant Sequoias and the Bristlecone Pines. Our biggest trees are mere twigs in comparison to the trees in California. Thanks for the link to your photo album.

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Yes, Ben, those are some very big trees. I had occasion to drive thru that part of the country many, many years ago and saw a lot of huge redwoods. In fact in one case that I remember we actually drove through the trunk of the tree (and yes, it was still alive).

It's lucky you got out of the woods before dark ... that would be a hell of a place to get lost and have to spend the night out among the trees and bears. Don't envy you having to drive back to your motel at night, especially up in the "high country". California certainly doesn't believe in the use of guide rails along the edge of roads like they do in NJ. The open drop-off from some of those mountain roads can be scary.

Too bad you didn't have a companion with you who could have posed alongside some of the bigger trees to give a sense of proportion. Guess you couldn't get the car close enough to do that, either. But in spite of everything, you came up with some very good pics. And it is so much different than the NJ Pine Barrens (or any other woods in NJ for that matter).

Even though most of your trip involved a work assignment, bet you really enjoyed yourself. Northern California is a very scenic place. But think of all those sales orders that will be waiting for you when you get back!

Dave Quaid, Ormond Beach
(next to that spring break hotspot, Daytona)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I wish there were more sales orders waiting for me when I get back.

The CA parks system is very particular about vehiclular access to their parks. They have pretty much every trail closed except to equestrian or foot traffic. If you can't hike 20 miles then you're S.O.L. This is one of the main reasons I am fighting to keep the Pine Barrens open to vehicles. Not for tearing up the place, but for making exploring accessable.

Barry, being amongst the Redwoods was as close to a religious experience as I have ever experienced. I can't even begin to explain the power of seeing a tree tower several hundred feet above me. It really changed how I think of nature.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
wow. Those pictures just sick---though i'm sure they don't hold a torch to what it was really like being there. I've seen so many amazing things, and I've barely been anywhere . . . its a nice little reminder how bad i need to get out there.
-Bob

B

bach2yoga

Those epiphanies are the moments you never forget, Ben. For a moment in time you understand your insignificance, and at the same time the importance of even the smallest of creation. You understand the importance of both life and death. It is a feeling of oneness that is never forgotten. Somehow in forgetting yourself, you seem much more truly yourself than ever.

Those of you who know me fairly well know that I do not profess to fit inside any particular box of religion, rather finding truth in many places, from Buddhism to Christianity to Paganism to Taoism in a sort of Joseph Campbell amalgamation, so please understand my writing is not some sort of preaching, nor meant to be confrontational. I wrote this during a very difficult period of my life and still find that same comfort:

I find God when I am exploring in the Pine Barrens. It is my refuge; He is my refuge. It renews me; it strengthens and calms me, it brings me much needed peace from the turmoil I live in. When I am there, I feel Him there; I feel strength and gentleness, and understanding. So I explore, because my spirit and soul need it.

Renee