This effects us all

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
EXCELLENT! I never liked that idea and can remember when crosswalks were added in my town. I argued then with a proponent of the crosswalks that it would cause problems. I also know several people who got tickets (setup by police traps) from entering the crosswalk area while a pedestrian was in it, even if the pedestrian was on the other side of the road and a foot from the curb.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
I agree the current law needs to be changed. Need to be real careful about implementing any changes though if they don't want to create a bigger problem - I think the current proposal will just confuse the issue more.

Personally, I think pedestrians should be required to signal their intent to cross (raised hand or something) then wait till vehicles come to stop before stepping into the road, marked crosswalk or not.

Reactions: Teegate

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
"ends a requirement that drivers stop and stay stopped for people who are crossing a street"

I've lived in states where the law works very well for pedestrians in crosswalks, then I came to Jersey. Just sayin'.

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
This happened to me a few years ago in Allentown, NJ. When I was driving about 20 mph through town, a woman bolted out from behind a parked vehicle. I hit the brakes and stopped without incident but as she was in the crosswalk in the middle of the street, she wigged out at me. To this day, I think she bolted into the street just to either prove something or to test the then, new system.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
The current proposal prohibits pedestrians from crossing streets at an unmarked crosswalk without a traffic signal...

I thought this was already illegal and was why we have crosswalks

What we have done is try to codify common sense and make sure that people use the good brain that God gave them

and I thought they were around to legislate common sense out the window

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We are or should be taught how to cross the street as kids.Why all the sudden should everyone be allowed to forget the rules of look both ways and wait till it's clear.The parents are now dumber then the kids used to be. Another stupid law is the one recently passed that public transit buses can just pull out into traffic flowing around them and if there is a collision it is the passing vehicles fault.I say either make the bastards obey the law as we all should be doing and put a turn signal on before pulling out and wait your turn as well or make them like school buses where every one has to stop till they take off.It is so dangerous never knowing when you can go around them and when you should wait.No signal,no nothing,just whip that big bitch out into traffic and push your ass right out into oncoming traffic,their allowed to do it and they take advantage of it.I"ve wore my bird out on em and it does no good.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
In my little SNJ town, we not only have crosswalks at the corner of each block, but also mid-block. Jaywalking is rampant and nothing is ever done to inhibit the practice.
When a crosswalk is used, so many times I've seen people step into them without so much as a glance at traffic. The worst cases are those with vision obstructing hoodies in place while wearing ear buds!!!
Don't even get me started on cyclists using crosswalks while riding and considering themselves to be pedestrians!

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really have no problem with jaywalking as long as they look and wait for cars.If you know how to cross the street and act accordingly there shouldn't be a problem with where you cross.I know on High Street in Millville I often have to park across the street and mid block from where I"m going.Not about to walk half a block to get to a corner then cross and walk back down.I know how to cross the street and I don't run out in front of vehicles.I also don't swing my door out in front of traffic.Good way to lose a door.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
We are or should be taught how to cross the street as kids.Why all the sudden should everyone be allowed to forget the rules of look both ways and wait till it's clear.The parents are now dumber then the kids used to be. Another stupid law is the one recently passed that public transit buses can just pull out into traffic flowing around them and if there is a collision it is the passing vehicles fault.I say either make the bastards obey the law as we all should be doing and put a turn signal on before pulling out and wait your turn as well or make them like school buses where every one has to stop till they take off.It is so dangerous never knowing when you can go around them and when you should wait.No signal,no nothing,just whip that big bitch out into traffic and push your ass right out into oncoming traffic,their allowed to do it and they take advantage of it.I"ve wore my bird out on em and it does no good.
Is there really a law that was passed that buses can just pull into traffic with no signal? That explains it then, almost had an accident twice. Bus pulled out without even so much as a signal. No shit, what mindless moron passed this law?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, just from the comments here we can see that very few individuals like the law as it is written. It must be changed.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
If nothing else comes of this, the thing I learned is that there is now a law giving buses the "right". I didn't know. While I am always cautious when approaching a public service bus pulled on the shoulder, all or most at least used to signal while pulling back into lane. My 2 encounters there was NO signal so I proceeded to pass only to find myself along side the bus which is now moving and pushing me over the center line. I drive a full size Ford van with daytime running headlights, hard to say "I didn't see him", well maybe if you don't look.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If nothing else comes of this, the thing I learned is that there is now a law giving buses the "right". I didn't know. While I am always cautious when approaching a public service bus pulled on the shoulder, all or most at least used to signal while pulling back into lane. My 2 encounters there was NO signal so I proceeded to pass only to find myself along side the bus which is now moving and pushing me over the center line. I drive a full size Ford van with daytime running headlights, hard to say "I didn't see him", well maybe if you don't look.
Yes they have legal sanction now to force you into oncoming traffic.Most of them don't even use signals to let you know their pulling out.Yes it indeed took a moron to come up with this law.I would rather see them block the road like a school bus does,much less dangerous.I"ve worn my bird out with them and screaming profanities out the window at them and it does no good.Their morons with legal sanction to act as such.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I agree, if some kind of law "needed" to be made that they stop in lane and traffic behind needs to stop. Pinhead morons in Trenton and lack of common sense on the bus drivers. I can understand trying to stay on schedule, etc. and in the past they at least put the signal on while beginning to move forward. If you tried to pass then it was on YOU. Unbelievable. What back page of an obscure once weekly paper or news channel was this law published? One has to ask what public official has an interest in public service transportation, who's pocket just got filled and what is the "reason" for this law?

T

Toothy Critter

I believe this applies to the mailman too. Was wondering why he just pulled out in front of me out of nowhere. Gee didn't know I was supposed to put the brake to the floor.