This is exciting

Tom Rizzo

Oct 7, 2015
Camden, N.J.
I've been reading and studying the book, HEART OF THE PINES, and looking for places mentioned. Fortunately, I live very close to Batsto, and as one who loves to study history, and explore, am now looking around the area, and realizing what a wealth of exploration will happen as the days pass into winter.

Finding this site and forum was a gift. I had just read about "Iron Pipe Road," and went to Google to investigate, then found this site. I wish to say thank you for the work that awaits my reading, as well as accepting me into this forum.

The day is such a beautiful one. I find it difficult to know which direction to go in - stay around the house and property to accomplish some food growing goals, or get back out on the road to acquaint myself with the territory in preparation for the leaves falling, and the ticks disappearing during the coming winter's cold days. I can't wait to get out into the woods!

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
Finding this site and forum was a gift. I had just read about "Iron Pipe Road," and went to Google to investigate, then found this site. I wish to say thank you for the work that awaits my reading, as well as accepting me into this forum.

I can't wait to get out into the woods![/QUOTE]

I'm new here too, and couldn't agree with Tom more! The site holds an incredible store of knowledge, insight, and information, and the members seem, for the most part, very level-headed, thoughtful, and considerate. Not knowing much about how forums work (never having joined one before), I am finding it fun to read random posts by clicking on what the "robots" have just read. Is that weird? What are robots, anyway?

Reactions: Ben Ruset and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Robots are the search engines of Google, Yahoo, etc. They surf the site and suck up the information so that when you do a search it is available to you.

Last edited:

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
Thank you for the explanation Teegate! I admit to being very technologically-challenged. When it comes to technology, I mostly leave it up to the professionals (at work) and my kids (at home).

I also agree with Tom, the original poster, that it is difficult to pick a place to start, when you are not as intimately acquainted with the area as many of the members here are. It's hard to imagine a "bad" choice though.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Great first post. Welcome to the site Tom and also maggie. This site is great. I have been in and around then pine Barrens all my life. But I swear everytime I come on here I learn something new or from a different view. The people that make up this forum are full of knowledge and willing to share and help out. Maggie as you stated there is not a bad choice to be had in the pine barrens.

Reactions: Maggie

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Welcome. The best advice I can give is follow what interests you to get started. That's the best part, as you get deeper into what you are interested in you wind up getting a deeper respect for something else and your love for the pines grows. Before you know it you'll be hooked on every aspect, from the history to nature to everything else. Just be sure to share your adventures because that's what this site is about:cool:

Reactions: Maggie

Tom Rizzo

Oct 7, 2015
Camden, N.J.
Thank you all for the kind replies. I've just written a second post, and appreciate the insight that those of you who have responded, have given me. I am focused on a theme, but as written above, it grows exponentially as I research. Yesterday, I thought to myself, "why are you spending so much of your time studying history?" Within a second or two, I knew why. I love living here. This is my home. There is a need to know the impressions of those who came before me to this place. They too had lives. They walked this land as I do, felt many of the same things I do and maybe, loved it the way I do. I'm now a part of this place, and maybe when I'm gone, someone will happen upon me and my impressions?