This isn't really about archaeology at all.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
The company for which I work is named Kise, Straw & Kolodner. It's not a particularly nifty name, I'll grant you, but no one ever calls it that. We say "KSK," which is a lot easier to say, and takes up less space on our tee-shirts.

Nonetheless, if you were to look us up, on say the internet or even in a for-real phone book, we are listed as "Kise, Straw & Kolodner." This is an important part of this fascinating story, so bear with me.

Moments ago, the telephone in my laboratory rang. (I like to call it a "laboratory," and never a "lab," because it sounds much more like I'd have beakers and evil experiments that way. ) I answered the telephone, as I always do, with my secretery pitch -- "Good afternoon, Kise, Straw & Kolodner." I say it with a raised note at the end, like it's a question and not a statement. (I like to keep the clients guessing, is it really Kise, Straw & Kolodner? Or just an evil laboratory?)

The man on the other end said the most brilliant thing I've ever heard. He said this: "Do you sell straw there?"

Wow. Just, wow. We have here a gentleman literate enough to open up a phone book and search for the word "straw," albeit out of context, but NOT literate enough to follow through to the words "archaeological services" tacked on the end. We have here someone smart enough to transfer numbers from a page to the actual telephone, and patient enough to wait for it to ring, but NOT smart enough or patient enough to look at the words surrounding this oh-so-needed "straw" and question what the hell a "kolodner" or a "kise" might be, and why a would-be straw store would carry them.

Even more perplexing, when I informed him that no, in fact, we do not carry straw here, he got a little mad, and informed me that our name, was indeed, "Kise, STRAW & Kolodner."

I wish I could tell you this was the first time this has happened, but sadly, it is the second.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ariadne said:
The company for which I work is named Kise, Straw & Kolodner.

That's really fascinating Ariadne... you're named after an opera, and Jim Straw is a friend and one of our Opera Company board members (and former board president). In fact, I just ran into him on the street two days ago :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ariadne said:
I wish I could tell you this was the first time this has happened, but sadly, it is the second.

That was me Ariadne. I love pulling that on you! I also ask drugstores if they have Prince Albert in a can.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
bobpbx said:
That was me Ariadne. I love pulling that on you! I also ask drugstores if they have Prince Albert in a can.

Aw, you kidder! You totally got me! You must be the one that keeps calling me at home, asking if my refridgerator is running. :v:

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Boyd said:
That's really fascinating Ariadne... you're named after an opera, and Jim Straw is a friend and one of our Opera Company board members (and former board president). In fact, I just ran into him on the street two days ago :)

Interesting! I barely see him but for our annual Christmas/Holiday-for-the-politically-correct party, as I work in New Jersey and he works in Philadelphia. But by my estimates, he's a good egg. Perhaps we'll cross paths at the opera this season, as I often attend.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
When you wear a N.P.S. uniform in the city you get a litany of crazy questions and actions:

No, that is The REAL Liberty Bell, the neon one in the Ball Park is modeled on the one your looking at (from a 13 year old)

No, you may not hold this 18th century musket I'm holding right now.

NO, Ma'am you may not come through this side door, we have a visitor check line for everybody.

No, the green table bays and the red curtains in Congress Hall are not those colors because its Christmas time. (The men who worked in those rooms did it to lend an air of austerity.)

.....And please no more questions about xheesesteaks or the Rocky statue....:cry:

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Hey Piney Boy,
remember in "National Treasure" Nic Cage and crew walk right in to Independence Hall, open up the Declaration right on the table. walk around on the roof, pretty much have the run of the place. This has to be an insult to Park Rangers. Please tell me security is better than that!!

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
long-a-coming said:
Hey Piney Boy,
remember in "National Treasure" Nic Cage and crew walk right in to Independence Hall, open up the Declaration right on the table. walk around on the roof, pretty much have the run of the place. This has to be an insult to Park Rangers. Please tell me security is better than that!!

National Treasure...:jeffd:

First let me say I am not against historical fiction, but they should at least throw in some factual information. The Schaara books on the Civil War, or Al Pacino's movie Revolution are both fun types of history for me. But when kids come into the Assembly Room in Independence Hall and ask if the glasses they see are the "secret" decoder ring things I wonder what kids are learning about American History.
As far as insulting goes, most time N.P.S rangers are portrayed like idiots; The Rock and (I think its called anyway) Broken Arrow. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes, well you know, its :siren: .

The security at Independence Hall requires the visitor goes through screeening booths and enter an area thats enclosed. The roof scene is funny for me because the movement around the Hall was all wrong. Let me tell you, once the building is open to the public for the day there is no way you are not watched on camera or setting off othe alarms. Guess it fit the "plot" better anyway.:guinness: