This Saturday, November 19, is New Jersey's Youth Firearm Deer Hunt Day

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Everyone be careful on Saturday. Wear your orange.

This Saturday, November 19, is New Jersey's Youth Firearm Deer Hunt Day giving youth hunters an opportunity to harvest a deer of either sex prior to the opening of the regular firearm deer hunting seasons. The hunt requires no special season deer permit, and Antler Point Restrictions and Earn-A-Buck requirements do NOT apply. Harvested deer are not included as part of the Six-day Firearm or other season bag limit. Youths possessing a valid Youth Firearm Hunting License may hunt with either a shotgun or muzzleloader (Rifle Permit required) while under the direct supervision of a non-hunting adult 21 years of age or older with a valid NJ firearm license. Direct supervision is defined as the youth hunter and licensed adult set up together at the same location and hunting as a unit. The hunt is part of the Fish & Wildlife's Take A Kid Hunting program which provides for a quality hunting experience for properly licensed youth hunters, often outside regular hunting seasons. This is the final youth hunt in 2022, but another Youth Waterfowl Hunt will be held on February 4, 2023, and the Youth Turkey Hunt will be April 22, 2023.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
mikeIMG_0973.jpg

The Youth Days are one of the best things that NJ F&W has done in my 54 years of hunting. It is harder now than ever to get kids involved in the outdoors and giving them a day to themselves improves their chances of being successful and hopefully remaining life-long hunters.

Here is my youngest son's deer that he killed with his muzzleloader at age 15 on one of the early Youth Days. No bait, sitting in a tree on a natural run. There was no problem keeping him in the game and he is now an obsessed hunter like me. He has also fished ever since he could stand up and he is now a licensed captain who runs a charter boat for saltwater trips in the summers. Sadly, he has to teach the other 9 months out of the year.:)