Tick-borne ills on decrease in southern N.J.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just yesterday I realized that I haven't even seen a tick in the past couple weeks. It's been really dry around my place, so maybe that has something to do with it. I haven't been out in the woods anywhere else recently... are the ticks still bad in Burlington County?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I haven't noticed any in Winslow area either, but I still keep out of the high grass. Last week we camped in Virginia (Eastern Shore on the Chesepeake) and there were some ticks, but not a lot.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
My coworker has been out all week, he has been diagnosed with ehrlichiosis and is really very sick. I didn't even think people GOT ehrlichiosis, but I guess we do. Scary stuff. (I think he was in Mass at the time he picked up the tick).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There certainly less of them for some reason. This occurred in previous years around this time. But we still need to be vigilant. I had one embedded in my back last week that we had to remove.

Guy

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
I picked up two while picking wild blueberries on my property in Ocean County, though my two kids got none. I felt them crawling and brushed them off. Also got some nasty chigger bites. I had sprayed my kids with deet, but forgot to spray myself.
This is my first summer in a new house, and I was afraid the ticks would be a bad problem. Thankfully, they haven't been as bad as I expected.