Tick control?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I've been spreading 24 tubes around the property for a 1-1/2 years. Not cheap, but I have grandkids running all over my yard. Not sure if they work but nobody has picked up a tick while I've been using them.

They degrade slowly, so I have 72 soggy, beaten up cardboard tubes encircling my house.

Last edited:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Caveat: They work for Black-Legged ticks and other species that use small rodents for intermediate hosts, but aren't likely to make a big difference in populations of Lone Star ticks, since they don't bite rodents nearly as much.

I've never attracted or even seen a tick in my yard. Strange.

Still haven't seen many ticks of any species this year. Anyone know the latest theories/speculation about how vector population levels affect tick populations?

Mind you, I'm not complaining! A few years back, it seemed like everytime anyone, human or canine, went outside they had A tick or ticks on them.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just got bombed twice Guy! Chigger-ticks. Thought I'd be okay since I had my irrigation boots on and sprayed, but forgot to spray the pants. They bombed me at the lower front pocket on both legs. I swept them off, but spied a few going down my boots, so went home for the inevitable clothes washing and bath. Keep protected at all times, that is the only way.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry to hear that. We have had a few recently but so far have been doing quite well.

As Sue said previously, this is the season for new population hatching, Tiny, almost invisible critters. Not only are they too small and light-colored to see, they are so small you may not feel them on your skin. How I didn't notice one on me until it engorged. Ugh.

Long pants tucked into socks, Sawyers sprayed on, knees to shoes.
Enjoy!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
As Sue said previously, this is the season for new population hatching, Tiny, almost invisible critters. Not only are they too small and light-colored to see, they are so small you may not feel them on your skin. How I didn't notice one on me until it engorged. Ugh.

Long pants tucked into socks, Sawyers sprayed on, knees to shoes.
Enjoy!
The lone star tick larvae are out and about through about September, and then in Oct/Nov, the adult deer ticks come out. Seems it's always tick season.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
This herper has an interesting story about contracting tick borne illness. He has been bitten by venomous snakes but the worst bite was from a tick.