Tick warning

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So far I have found the ticks to be unusually light. Granted it is an early spring.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I haven't seen too many down here yet either. But there was a huge one on my pants yesterday as I sat out in the woods. At first I thought it was a spider!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Did you know that ticks have a two-year life cycle and do not die with the first frost? When the weather is consistently below 40 degrees, they settle down for a long nap, occasionally waking up on a warm day. This winter, there were 25 days that the temperature was above 50 degrees. A very wet fall and mild winter is expected to produce an increase in tick activity this spring. As spring roars in, with the sun ablaze, adult and nymph ticks are waking up. One tick may lay 2,000 to 3,000 eggs that will hatch in the spring, releasing an army of very hungry larval ticks searching for their first blood meal.

http://www.naturalawakeningscnj.com/SOM/April-2012/Tackling-Springtime-Ticks-and-Insects/

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Have been seeing them all through the winter, picking them off the dog mostly. They never seemed to have gone dormant this season.

I have two bites, now, from this past weekend that need to be checked out. (Dr. on Fri.) Looks like it could be a rough summer season.

John-

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Ticks and chiggers are two species I would happily eradicate, and to hell with the circle of life. Throw stinkbugs in as well, simply because I'm going to hear "ooohhh, stinkbug, Daaaaaaddddd!" about 2000 times this summer.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Add the illegal alien bugs that are killing trees to that list. I know of no reason any of them should be in the 'circle of life'.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I went out canoeing on Sunday. I don't even remember being on land, except launch and take out. Today I found a tick firmly embedded in my back. Varmint kong!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Yes, Even if you've had Lyme disease before, you can get it again. I know this to be true with me."Chronic lyme disease" is a highly controversial subject
I got it in the early 90's and have not suffered any long term symptoms. I guess I'll still need to be carefull.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They could make Lyme's vaccine out of my blood according to my wife.My mom once picked over 80 ticks off my hide in one day when i was 9.I am amazed at all the people I know who have it,none of them spend a great deal of time in the woods.I think I never got sick much as a kid or even now because I played in the dirt constantly as a kid and ate sammiches with dirty hands while in the woods.I innoculated myself.I used to be so knotty as a youngun I felt like a cheese grater.By the way does sasquatch get ticks?Did you check under hawkins for the Squatch?Perhaps they are the trolls of old before anyone knew of Squatch?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I now get to take 3 weeks of doxycycline, 2 weeks of acidophilus and carry a nice bullseye on my back. Blood work in 8 weeks will tell the tale. The doc let me squash the blood sucker, no blood, good news :D The itch was driving me crazy, lower right shoulder, so I went to the doc. Glad I did.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I now get to take 3 weeks of doxycycline, 2 weeks of acidophilus and carry a nice bullseye on my back. Blood work in 8 weeks will tell the tale. The doc let me squash the blood sucker, no blood, good news :D The itch was driving me crazy, lower right shoulder, so I went to the doc. Glad I did.

46'er, when I got it in 1992, the treatment philosphophies(sp?) were not set. I took doxycyclene for 3 months. I can't complain, since I've suffered no symptoms since.