Ticks? Anyone seen them recently? Cumberland Cty

I haven't seen any of the critters since September, despite living on a wooded property and sharing our house with 2 dogs.
The recent rain and warm weather combined with this year's non-winter has me anticipating an insect and weed intensive garden season.

The so far absnce of ticks makes me wonder if we're someho being set up?!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have not seen any yet at my place in Atlantic County. But no doubt that will change very soon. Warm week ahead.... forecast says 72 degrees on Tuesday and temperatures above freezing every night this week.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I found several on me a few weeks ago, with one embedded. I most likely picked them up in a grassy upland area very close to the salt marsh at a site in Atlantic County. I wasn't wearing treated clothing. I've gotten them big time in that habitat before and should have expected it, given the temps that day and the fact that there really isn't a tick-free season in our region.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A cry for help from Waretown;

Hi all.

Hubby is unavailable and Im wrangling 3 kids while trying to figure out where to even start with my dog who is covered in ticks. So far i pulled off 43 at which point i lost count and had to sprint to the bus stop.

Help.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just got my first tick bite of the year last night :argh: Going to treat a set of clothes with permethrin right now, no more walks without protection.

The lone star ticks are due any second--adults, not the billions of larvae, those will start appearing in late summer. Also now, the black-legged nymphs are out in force.

Brace yourselves.

Oh boy. I really miss winter. Sharing our house with two tick-sampling devices (bark, bark). Frontline Plus kills what attaches to them, but some of the critters brought inside on the dogs crawl off looking for a host and end up on the 2 legged mammals. Hard to see them on the big dog, who is black.
Time to start using the Permethrin on the yard pants again.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Frontline Plus kills what attaches to them

Try switching to K9 Advantix II from Bayer, a bit expensive but works for ticks, fleas, deer flies, lice and skeeters; repels and kills any that might get thru the repel stage. Will also kill cats if used on them. They now have some ingestible stuff, that I rather not use.

Try switching to K9 Advantix II from Bayer, a bit expensive but works for ticks, fleas, deer flies, lice and skeeters; repels and kills any that might get thru the repel stage. Will also kill cats if used on them. They now have some ingestible stuff, that I rather not use.

The Frontline will affect ticks before they attach; the problem is that the little dog, a terrier/papillion/? mix, has long hair and an almost non existent ground clearance, worse when he squats to defecate. We trim the fur on his under belly and feet, but ticks that crawl aboard can end up in the house as soon as he's back inside, and aren't on the surface of 3-inch-long haircoat long enough to be affected by preventative treatment.

The big dog (lab/pit mix) is short haired, so boarding area is mostly feet and head, where ticks not easily seen on black fur. I usually find them by touch. The ticks often aren't on the dogs long enough to attach.

We live on a main road, our dogs are never off-leash, only on mowed areas. Even so, when ticks are abundant, we find some on furniture after we or the mutts are outside.

Even with Frontline Plus for them and repellant/laundry strategies, frequent vacuuming, sometimes they end up on us.

Life in south Jersey; as Sue said, "Brace yourselves" !

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica had her first one today. We walked a mile in the woods and that apparently was the only one.