Ticks? Anyone seen them recently? Cumberland Cty

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Going up to around 80 degrees tomorrow, that oughta bring 'em out. :eek: Be careful everyone - tick-borne illness is the last thing you (or the healthcare system) needs to deal with now!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Was just wandering around out back on my property with my friend Jack Daniels. :D Set the flask down on the trail for less than one minute, picked it up again and a tick marched off it onto my hand! A big one, with a white spot on its back (lone star tick ? ). Clearly, they are everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toothy Critter

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Was just wandering around out back on my property with my friend Jack Daniels. :D Set the flask down on the trail for less than one minute, picked it up again and a tick marched off it onto my hand! A big one, with a white spot on its back (lone star tick ? ). Clearly, they are everywhere.
Theyyyyyyyre heeeeeeere!

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Permethrin, combined with common sense precautions, really is quite effective. :)
People ask me that question all. The. Time. Permethrin is great because it's a repellent AND an acaricide/insecticide. It prevents bugs and ticks from getting on you in the first place. Those topical or oral treatments for dogs and cats generally aren't repellents (the ones that are contain permethrin, too), but are only insecticides/acaricides: they kill the tick as it climbs on and tries to eat. People can't tolerate that, we don't want them near us!
Finding new repellents is a pretty tall order since it has to be a volatile substance that constantly pays out, so by nature, they don't last very long on the skin.

@Jermide

Feb 1, 2018
I've been hiking BTB trails almost every week since January and I haven't noticed a single tick, yet. Weird.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I pulled a tick off my arm last Thursday after the running the dog near Rockwood.
That was the first of many more to come for me. I'm a tick magnet. I think they are attracted to bourbon. :D

• Wow

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
We took a ride Friday afternoon. stopped at Friendship (only place we got out of the Jeep) when we returned home later that evening my wife had one on her arm. Same as Boyd, white spot on it.

• Wow

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ah hah ! Validating my bourbon theory !

• Haha

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ah hah ! Validating my bourbon theory !

A tick climbed up the flask and was headed across my hand. If I hadn't noticed, it would have found a spot to drill into me. If it wasn't for the flask, the tick wouldn't have been able to climb up my permethrin-treated clothes. So, I'd say that the bourbon made it more likely to get bitten. Is that your theory? :D

Seriously, the thing that impressed me is that the little flask has a "footprint" of only about 2 square inches, and within less than a minute a tick had climbed up it. This was on a cleared trail, not in the underbrush. To me, that implies there are a lot of ticks out there.