Ticks can now ruin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't understand how this can surface in just the past few years. Why not the 1980's or 1970's etc?

Waiting, waiting patiently. Along a path I found him waiting.

Tick.JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't understand how this can surface in just the past few years. Why not the 1980's or 1970's etc?

The way I read it, they just recently associated the issue with ticks carrying it. Folks probably had the ailment, but were treated for something different. Unfortunately, medicine is not an exact science.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
My wife Ro got this allergy from a tick bite. She was tested where we get allergy shots and they confirmed her sesitivity. Turns out she's allergic to beef, but not some other mammal meat and not to chicken or seafood, so, like a lot of other things, different people get afflicted differently. It definitely has curtailed her interest in bushwhacking.....

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
Likely another nail in the coffin leading to potentially huge repercussions against conservation and more so perhaps habitat preservation efforts. Lyme and other tick-borne illness is seen as just another reason for people to stay inside, thus fewer and fewer people with enough appreciation or interest in any aspect of the environment, which will of course be reflected in their voting tendencies- 'Replace those remaining woods with another walmart', etc........Awful.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I had Lyme Disease 11 years ago and it was awful. I basically lost a year of my life.

If you find a tick on you that's been attached for more than 24 hours, it's a good idea to save it and get it tested at a lab. The Lyme test on humans is not very accurate and when your body finally does produce antibodies to Lyme that can be detected by testing, the disease already has a pretty good foothold on you and is harder to get rid of.

I found two completely engorged nymph ticks on me in July that I picked up at Dennisville Lake and sent them off to the University of Massachusetts who, for $50, will test a tick for Lyme Disease and Babesis. Fortunately both tested negative.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had Lyme Disease 11 years ago and it was awful. I basically lost a year of my life.

If you find a tick on you that's been attached for more than 24 hours, it's a good idea to save it and get it tested at a lab. The Lyme test on humans is not very accurate and when your body finally does produce antibodies to Lyme that can be detected by testing, the disease already has a pretty good foothold on you and is harder to get rid of.

I had lymes a couple of years back. Fortunately it was caught soon enough and the antibiotic regimen worked for me. Have had no ill effects from it. Light colored clothing, Permethrin and Skin-So-Soft have become my very close outdoor friends.

I would suggest if you find any signs of lyme, such as the bullseye, you get to your doctor as soon as possible. They will start the antibiotic immediately. Just having the tick tested will prove only that the tick had lymes and few doctors will prescribe antibiotics based on that. You have to have symptoms.

Good info from Rutgers Extension at the link;

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/publication.asp?pid=FS443

There is nothing for the beef allergy issue though.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Likely another nail in the coffin leading to potentially huge repercussions against conservation and more so perhaps habitat preservation efforts.

That's a real stretch of the imagination. I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever, but certainly not "huge repercussions". And if it means fewer tourists in the pines, that wouldn't bother me at all. ;)

Reactions: Gerania