Ticks & Chiggers--a study

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Farmer folk of European ancestry sometimes get teased for having pale "chicken" legs. Really, though, how can you call them chicken legs without lots of little bumps all over them? Well, here's a new equation guaranteed to cause more than mere anxiety:

Farmer plus chiggers equals chicken legs.

Cluck cluck. (Scratch scratch.)

• Haha
Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Farmer folk of European ancestry sometimes get teased for having pale "chicken" legs. Really, though, how can you call them chicken legs without lots of little bumps all over them? Well, here's a new equation guaranteed to cause more than mere anxiety:

Farmer plus chiggers equals chicken legs.

Cluck cluck. (Scratch scratch.)
Always referred to my dads ghostly white legs as chicken legs.Somebody ate one of them,he only has one left:-(

Reactions: bobpbx

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Red velvet mites are from the family Trombidiidae, while chiggers are in a different (but more or less closely related) family, Trombiculidae. The latter are only about half a mm long.
When I was a kid there would always be these small red bugs coming out of the broken concrete of my aunts back steps. Were they red velvet mites?

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
I saw one site that claimed that a single wild turkey could eat 100,000 ticks in its lifetime. According to the Field and Stream article, though, wild turkeys are not overly effective in knocking down tick populations.

A quick check online seems to confirm that while geese will eat the occasional tick, they are primarily herbivores. Guinea fowl and chickens are reputed to be better tick eradicators.

When it comes to Fire Ants, though, all questions should be directed to manumuskin. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I saw one site that claimed that a single wild turkey could eat 100,000 ticks in its lifetime. According to the Field and Stream article, though, wild turkeys are not overly effective in knocking down tick populations.

A quick check online seems to confirm that while geese will eat the occasional tick, they are primarily herbivores. Guinea fowl and chickens are reputed to be better tick eradicators.

When it comes to Fire Ants, though, all questions should be directed to manumuskin. :)

I would think that smaller birds would be more effective at killing off ticks (the one outdoor thing I'm afraid of, especially in the NJPB!). A tiny tick isn't worth the energy expenditure of bending down the head to grab it for a big animal like a goose or turkey. Flood the place with little birds, including ground birds like chickens.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Flocks of wild turkeys enjoy vandalizing my property, they go down my little trails, dig up all the dead leaves from both sides of the trail and dump them in the middle. Basically, they bury the trail by heaping piles of dead leaves on it. They can do this to hundreds of feet of trails in one afternoon, requiring a fair amount of work with a rake to open the trail back up! They scratch up the ground on either side of the trail during this process and it makes me wonder what they are foraging for. Acorns? Bugs? Roots? Maybe it's ticks?

Anyway, the ticks are pretty much gone here once we get into August. I often see reports from others about getting ticks in the late summer, but it almost never happens here. So, maybe the turkeys are eating my ticks?

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Speaking of turkeys - I came across a little wildlife powwow off Quaker Bridge Road on Saturday morning. A bunch of turkeys and deer eating corn or some kind of feed, while a black cat looked on. I guess I interrupted breakfast.
A7506422.jpg

A7506454.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Speaking of turkeys - I came across a little wildlife powwow off Quaker Bridge Road on Saturday morning.

Could be almost any morning in my yard (but there's no corn and the cat is orange and white) :D

I never saw a turkey in the PB in the old days.

I think it has a lot to do with where you go, although it's possible that there was some kind of program to improve their numbers after your time in the Pines. I didn't see them very often myself until I moved to my present location. But my property borders on the Maple Lake WMA which now includes the big formerly-private Estell Manor Preserve where I believe they may have bred them for hunting. @RednekF350 can probably tell us more about all of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pan

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I think it has a lot to do with where you go...

Possibly, as I didn't go down that far south. I went up north to the intriguing big green mostly blank spot on the Esso or Mobilgas road map centered around Chatsworth, Rt 72, 539, down to Batsto. I don't believe John McPhee mentioned turkeys in his late 1960s book, The Pine Barrens either.

I see turkeys in the woods out here in southern Arizona up on Mount Lemmon at about the 5,000 foot altitude (Mt L goes up to over 9,000).

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd and stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I think it has a lot to do with where you go, although it's possible that there was some kind of program to improve their numbers after your time in the Pines.

Indeed, there was exactly such a program. Fish & Wildlife reintroduced wild turkeys here in 1977, following over a hundred years of deforestation and overhunting. The program was very successful. There were already enough birds to support a spring hunting season by 1981.

Reactions: Boyd and Pan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just a few years ago we saw them everywhere in the pines. Jessica and I have noticed we see less of them anymore. With that said, we saw a bunch of them this past weekend.

Reactions: Boyd