Ticks & Chiggers--a study

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Interesting. But I felt like something was crawling on me as I read it.

I did a sweep of an infested area yesterday with an old t-shirt section. Will post next week on that.

Here's another good article, and maybe hope for the future.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/genetically-engineered-mice-reduce-lyme-disease/
I am lucky enough to have tak
I am lucky enough to have taken a tick taxonomy and ID class with Dr. Beati. She brought her specimens from around the world, including a really beautiful, large tick that only lives on the anus of rhinoceri. No joke!

Not officially. Autodidact. Dropped out of college in the '60s. Helps to show up and pay attention. Academic research used to require driving to university library, microfiche, etc. Now just turn on the computer, search the journals/Medline abstracts. I miss the dusty stacks: dropped out of school partly because I'd get distracted from what I was supposed to be reading by other books/papers in the U library.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The DEP is working hard on finding them. However, they made a mistake. See the bottom.

The NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife is asking deer hunters in Deer Management Zone 12 for help in locating an exotic tick species, known as the longhorned tick or bush tick, which was recently found on a farm in Hunterdon County. This tick is a serious pest to livestock as well as wildlife, pets, and humans. Hunters in Deer Management Units 176, 177, 193, and 194 in DMZ 12 are asked to bring deer to the Clinton WMA on November 27, 28, and 29. For more information visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...60ncVreN4lavAXqSlThcrbfbknvbWGNlQcSw7a-ofY&e= on the Division's website.

The Deer Management Unit (DMU) numbers provided in the previous e-mail about tick surveillance in DMZ 12 were incorrect. The correct DMUs are:
193, 194, 206, 207
We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
193 and 194 are the south end of Round Valley reservoir where the walk in/boat in camp sites are. 193 is a fairly heavily used area year round. I used to work a couple miles from there.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
This past week I spoke to my professor and mentor about this (Dwight Bowman at Cornell University). He told me that this is at least the 3rd time he's heard about this tick being imported. It never seems to take hold, fortunately. Who knows with the changing climate when it will finally get a foothold though.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Since you are all nerds and like to take pictures, the best way to ID them or any other ticks is by looking at the shape of the basis capitulum, which is basically the head part. H. longicornis, as the name suggests, has two projections that look like long horns on the dorsal aspect of the basis capitulum that are readily visible.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: bobpbx and Gibby