ticks

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I saw for myself what the tick situation is down there. It's not good! Geeze Louise. I picked about 50 off of myself and my husband today. The picaridin we sprayed ourselves with didn't do a thing. Between the ticks, mosquitoes, blackflies and greenheads, we're both anemic. I hope the chiggers were merciiful. We both scrubbed our legs with a stiff soapy brush just in case.

We also saw the devastation that the gypsy moths wreaked on the hardwood trees. There are adult moths EVERYWHERE. We spent the day in the Atsion Lake area.

Oh geez, I didn't even think about chiggers.

We saw adult moths everywhere we went yesterday. Millions of them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I've seen very little evidence of moths down here in Atlantic County. Earlier this spring I noticed a few trees that had been "nibbled" on my land, but nothing too serious. So they've either been spraying around here or else the moths haven't made it this far South...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I noticed there weren't many ticks around my place yesterday too, but I attributed this to the heavy rain that fell in the morning...

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
If there was heavy rain then that's certainly what we benefitted from. I didn't see anything but spitting on the way down the turnpike, and there didn't seem to be much standing water (other than the permasinks) on our route.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Another tick lesson by request

As for when we can expect to get rid of this season's crop of ticks, frost will kill them off if it's sustained cold, but if it's not, some or most will survive. The ticks of all stages will burrow into leaf litter that tends to ferment and therefore stay warmer than the air for a longer period of time, so you really don't start seeing them die off until it gets cold for days at a stretch and the ground freezes.

The ticks will generally overwinter as larvae and survive, that's how they come back in the spring. (I think some nymphs and adults may survive the cold too, but not as many). Eggs are the most vulnerable stage.

Oct 25, 2006
As for when we can expect to get rid of this season's crop of ticks, frost will kill them off if it's sustained cold, but if it's not, some or most will survive. The ticks of all stages will burrow into leaf litter that tends to ferment and therefore stay warmer than the air for a longer period of time, so you really don't start seeing them die off until it gets cold for days at a stretch and the ground freezes.

The ticks will generally overwinter as larvae and survive, that's how they come back in the spring. (I think some nymphs and adults may survive the cold too, but not as many). Eggs are the most vulnerable stage.

Thanks Sue for further elaborating on these vampires.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
wow! Thats alot of tick talk. Thanks for the info.
I probally won't get to the pines until the fall this year after bug season. I have been camping out on the Rappahanock river here in VA for the last three weekends and still have not seen one tick. We have horseflys down here however that can rip half your arm off. I guess the bugs are just the price of admission to the great outdoors.