Ticks..........

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Other tips.

When you arrive home in the summer close your car windows and try to avoid using your car for the rest of the day. Park on asphalt if possible. My wife and other daughter hate getting in my car because of ticks. This does kill them if your car gets hot enough.

Take a shower as soon as you get home and get your clothes in the washer right away with hot water. I stay outside while Jessica showers and then I go next. They can survive the hot water and a hot dryer though.

While walking keep checking yourself for them and use the lint brush. Wear knee high boots if possible. Leave your footwear outside for the rest of the day when you get home.

Don't flush them or wash them down the sink. They come back up. Always use the lint brush. The lint brush is your friend.

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Jessica came up with the best way to keep them in check. She always carries this when ticks are around. And always wear light clothing.

This is a great idea for removing (newly-acquired) parasites. Simple and economical.

Thanx, John-

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The old one for humans didn't work.
The one for dogs seems to. My vet said she never had a dog that was vacinated test positive for Lyme.

Then we are still left with all the other tick born diseases. Ticks will always be trouble.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I hate ticks. So far, still not bad around me. I have brushed a few off my pants, but none have bitten me. Have started using permethrin on my shoes and socks but not pants .

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I went on a hike a while back with my brother Tom (Jeff, it was the day we met you). Thought it was too early for ticks. 2 days later I found one dug into my back. Guess it's time for the permithrin. Had Lymes once and that's enough for me. Long-A Coming, hope your fully cured.
Greg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is a very recent research paper put out by the International Arachnids Science and Benefit Center that ticks in general produce a substance during their attachment that benefits the host. One of the side effects is psyhcological and causes a flee instinct in the host. One other benefit discovered is when ticks are covered in chocolate and a half ounce is ingested, they provide 69% of the minimum protein requirement for an obese female. Interesting stuff.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Jessica came up with the best way to keep them in check. She always carries this when ticks are around. And always wear light clothing.

Ticks.JPG

Guy
Makes up want to pull your sock off and check again