Timber Rattler Behavior

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I went back to a spot I found a skin last year and the tenant had rented the apartment again:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/MVC-004S.JPG

He is under a large dead pine tree.

I was going to tease him out, but decided not to get him all riled up, let him be. I walked away for 5 minutes, and when I came back, he was just disappearing into a 2" diameter hole in the tree. I could have grabbed his rattle as he went in. There was another hole (these made by some bird probably) about 12" away, and he poked his head into it and watched me for a bit and sensed the air with his tongue. Sorry for the poor camera quality. Its all I can afford. I know you can't see him, but he was there.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_MVC-003Ss.JPG

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, that is awesome I hope to expierience that in the pines someday. Keep that spot a secret. A Timber, kingsnake, and two pine snakes I'm real jealous of your finds. Good stuff
chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very cool Bob!! Without giving away the location, is that in the area you took me too when we were out riding that time? A yes or no answer is good enough.

Jeff

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
i envy your finds more and more everyday. You virtually found all my goals for NJ within a two week time span! Awesome find, and yeah I can see the rattlesnake's head sticking out!

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
i envy your finds more and more everyday. You virtually found all my goals for NJ within a two week time span! Awesome find, and yeah I can see the rattlesnake's head sticking out! How many rattlesnakes have you actually found in the pines?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
NJSnakeMan said:
i envy your finds more and more everyday. You virtually found all my goals for NJ within a two week time span! Awesome find, and yeah I can see the rattlesnake's head sticking out! How many rattlesnakes have you actually found in the pines?

I have seen 4 in all. The first one was under a small stump jutting out from the side of a small man-made sand berm. He was all coiled up and just looking at me. I poked him gently with a stick and he did not move. Its amazing what they put up with. Very sedate, cautious, quiet creatures. The second one was crossing Lacey Road. A big yeller phase. I stopped traffic until he was on the other side. Another one on a sunny October day that I found in the dry uplands cruising around. I followed him until he made a stand under a blueberry bush. He rattled at me. The sound was surprisingly softer than the movie version. It sounds like an insect, like an abdomen pulsation from a locust.

Heres a real kicker. When my daughter Kara was about 9 years old she was feeding rabbits for a family on vacation on the west side of bamber. Her and my wife were in the yard in the back feeding them at their hutches. Kara was (bless her heart) standing at the cage and giving the rabbit water. My wife said; "Kara, move away from the cage right now, I need you over here". Turns out, a dark phase was curled up less than 6" from her little white girlie sneakers. He was under the cage, apparantly lured by the sound and smell of the rabbits. I thank God every time I think of it. Unfortunately, the guy in the back of his yard cut him in half with a shovel.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Man you just ripped my heart out with that last sentence. I was getting real optimistic up until that point. Bob, how many years have you been exploring the pines? Only 4 timbers, I don't like my odds.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
dragoncjo said:
Man you just ripped my heart out with that last sentence. I was getting real optimistic up until that point. Bob, how many years have you been exploring the pines? Only 4 timbers, I don't like my odds.

I have lived in Bamber for 24 years, and I explore them constantly. I am not a piney, but have been in and around the pines most my life. I lived in Hampton Lakes from 1961 to 1963, in Presidential Lakes from 1966 to 1980. And so it is true, they are very hard to find unless you make it a study to find them. The one I found cruising the uplands was no accident. I know they love sunny fall days and I was actually looking to photograph one. And the one the other day was also no accident. I was tipped off by the skin, and I was out looking because I wanted to see if early May was the right time for them to be out.

I'll bet that in my hobby, Pineland plants, I have stepped very near them many times and never even knew it. But as you can see, they usually stay well hidden.

The most impressive snake I ever saw in the pines was 1/4 mile from that timber laying under the pine. I was driving along on a September day and found a pine snake stretched across the road. I got out and approaced him. He curled up and started hissing violently. He was so agitated his entire body shook up and down. He was a huge pine snake. I lifted him off the road with a big pole. Funny thing is, soon as he was hanging off the pole he stopped being so agitated. I did not have my camera with me.

Get out there more, that's my only advice. And look sharp.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
bobpbx said:
He was all coiled up and just looking at me. I poked him gently with a stick and he did not move. Its amazing what they put up with.

Bob, be very careful what you say. The state probably monitors this site and unfortunately they have "harrassment" policies that they will try to use to "harrass" (lol) people. It's not fair but it's true.:words:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
swwit said:
Bob, be very careful what you say. The state probably monitors this site and unfortunately they have "harrassment" policies that they will try to use to "harrass" (lol) people. It's not fair but it's true.:words:

True Swwit, thanks for reminding me.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
No problem Bob. I once was "observed" freeing a box turtle that was stuck in the mud on a horse trail because a horse stepped on it and drove it deep into the mud. The game officer told me that I was technically in violation to do so but under the circumstances he would let me slide with just a verbal warning. Nice huh?:bs:

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
swwit said:
No problem Bob. I once was "observed" freeing a box turtle that was stuck in the mud on a horse trail because a horse stepped on it and drove it deep into the mud. The game officer told me that I was technically in violation to do so but under the circumstances he would let me slide with just a verbal warning. Nice huh?:bs:

Well. Nice to see at least a little common sense sneak through the macho power-tripping bullshit.