Today's Exploring

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were in Lebanon this morning searching for monuments and stones and found a few monuments along the South Branch of the Mt. Misery Brook. There are some nice cedar area's in there and some not so nice area's. Anyway, this monument is along what was the Rogers Exception to the Hanover Farm's Tract , and as you can see it is falling apart.

DSC_2921a.jpg

Almost stepped on this little one. About 6 inches long.

DSC_2942a.jpg

This one is blurry. Never saw this bug before.

DSC_2929a.jpg

And the same here.

DSC_2933a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like a Buck moth
I suspect you are correct Tom. I see on Google they are Hemileuca Maia and typically fly between noon and 2PM on sunny days from October to December.

Ugly looking caterpillars and they sting. After finding the Puss caterpillar a few years back I have stopped picking all caterpillars up that I am unsure of.

I just checked and I do have photos of them as caterpillars.

Last edited:
Reactions: oji

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking over aerials 2 weeks ago and saw this. We went there last Saturday but as we turned onto a road nearby it was lined with vehicles with nobody in them. Hunters. So we waited until early this morning and found it.

structure.jpg

We were seeing the roof of this structure.

DSC_2951a.jpg

DSC_2950a.jpg

The bottom.

DSC_2953a.jpg

The road in ended at the structure so I suspect it was made to access that location.
DSC_2955a.jpg

We then headed elsewhere where I am looking to find property corners of a William Rogers in the Green Bank area. I have found two state stones and was looking for a state monument for almost a year and found it today. The rest of the property will be much harder to find even though the state did burn it early this year which I did not know. I should have started looking again this spring.

DSC_2959a.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I suspect you are correct Tom. I see on Google they are Hemileuca Maia and typically fly between noon and 2PM on sunny days from October to December.

Ugly looking caterpillars and they sting. After finding the Puss caterpillar a few years back I have stopped picking all caterpillars up that I am unsure of.

I just checked and I do have photos of them as caterpillars.
I have pictures of them as caterpillars also. I usually see them in scrub oaks when I'm checking Arethusa in the springtime

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I got lit up by about fifty IO caterpillars in Florida when I was twelve.What they did to me makes fire ants look sissified.I was playing tag and I was running from IT and I brushed against some of those highly multicolored evergreen bushes so popular down there an immediately felt like somebody hit my arm with a flame thrower.After squalling for an hour and gettin Mom to doctor it I went back outside to find out what was in them bushes.I found them all on a single limb which I popped off and put in a big jar with some leaves for them to eat. A very pretty caterpillar they are. A couple days later on coming home from school Mom sorrowfully informed me they all had died.I was not sorrowful at all,I told her it was revenge for my arm. I was a vengeful tot.