Tornado Damage

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I finally got to the area where the tornado touched down by route 72 just west of route Warren Grove Road (532). There is a dim road that is drivable by any truck as shown.

1638752792369.png

I had a hunch I'd intercept the path of the tornado on this road, and it didn't disappoint. As I walked in about 200? yards, I started seeing a lot of blown down trees. Usually big pine or oaks, but some sheared off the top. There did not seem to be a definitely swath until I went maybe 3/8? of a mile or so. All of a sudden I saw daylight ahead and figured it might be a feed strip, but no, it was the 200 foot wide path the tornado took, tearing those trees up pretty good. These are the last 2 photos below. The first two are from the walk in. The noise must have been tremendous and scary. The area affected was about 300 to 400 yards.

1638753131910.png

1638753233902.png

1638753324402.png

1638753412822.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Found a deer killed about a week ago on 72. He's only dragged onto the shoulder. A 4 or 6 pointer with antlers still on. Great spot for a game camera cause coyote appears to be gnawing on his leg.

1638753849989.png

Reactions: Teegate

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
If you're interested in tornado destruction, it may be worthwhile to take a ride down to my neck of the woods. We had a severe one over labor day weekend, that destroyed houses from near the Commodore Barry Bridge, all the way up to the Deptford Mall, where it finally lifted. This is a swath of destruction around 15 miles long. A few houses have been repaired but most still have tarps on the roof and boards on the windows. It missed me by only a mile or two. If anyone who isn't local is interested in viewing some of the destruction I can suggest a couple of locations.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The tornado/waterspout that hit High Bar Harbor in Barnegat Light this summer did a bastardly amount of damage.
Saw news footage, drone photos, stuff posted on different sites, the LBI site included.
Got up pretty close from water.
Holy cow. A lot of souls got very lucky that day.
It is a tight area, fairly exclusive bunch and lifers there with limited access in and out.
Lotsa folks don't even know it is there or where to drive in.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The tornado/waterspout that hit High Bar Harbor in Barnegat Light this summer did a bastardly amount of damage.
That was the same tornado I spoke of above. It had lifted up off the ground and skimmed over all that housing congestion by route 9, and then touched down again on the water. At least that's what some officials said at the time.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
If you're interested in tornado destruction, it may be worthwhile to take a ride down to my neck of the woods. We had a severe one over labor day weekend, that destroyed houses from near the Commodore Barry Bridge, all the way up to the Deptford Mall, where it finally lifted. This is a swath of destruction around 15 miles long. A few houses have been repaired but most still have tarps on the roof and boards on the windows. It missed me by only a mile or two. If anyone who isn't local is interested in viewing some of the destruction I can suggest a couple of locations.
I drove through that area on my way to work that Tuesday. I was stunned.