Tour of the Pines

Joe M

Scout
Nov 6, 2008
Newark, DE
www.meritboundalley.com
Hey, all!

I took a trip with my daughter to show her my old stomping grounds around Tabernacle, Medford, and Vincentown on Saturday. We started off with breakfast at the Red Lion Diner, then headed to the Carranza Memorial. From there, we drove to Friendship and hiked to the Alloway Memorial. Took stop at the Tabernacle Cemetary to show her the grave of Indian Anne, then drove through 'Nacle, Vincentown, and Medford to show her the houses I grew up in. We ended the day be seeing the mansion, church, and schoolhouse in Atsion, then dinner at Pic's and desert at the Evergreen Dairy Bar before heading home. I wish I had taken more pictures, but here's a few:

IMG_20210612_111956.jpg

Young blueberry bushes at Carranza

IMG_20210612_112342.jpg

We also left tokens on the Memorial

IMG_20210612_115756.jpg

At Friendship, we found that someone had dumped a TV and kids play car in the basement of the packing house...

IMG_20210612_120013.jpg

When you see it...

IMG_20210614_195958_02.jpg

IMG_20210614_195958_04.jpg
IMG_20210614_195958_03.jpg

Pictures Shannon took around Friendship

IMG_20210614_195958_01.jpg

We met a ribbon snake on Hawkins Bridge - Friendship road!

IMG_20210612_121836.jpg

Posing on Hawkins Bridge - Friendship Road

IMG_20210612_124617.jpg

Yum!

IMG_20210612_121852.jpg

Selfie

IMG_20210612_125407.jpg

Alloway Memorial

IMG_20210612_133946.jpg

Friendship cranberry bog with flowering water lillies

IMG_20210612_134437.jpg

Not sure what this is. Any ideas?

IMG_20210612_160914.jpg

Stopped at the Atsion schoolhouse for a picture. At this point, my feet were killing me so we didn't see the areas across the river from here

IMG_20210612_161556.jpg

But we did spy some beautiful orchids on the way back to the car!

IMG_20210612_192537.jpg

And this was our garbage haul for the day

Thanks for looking!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Beautiful! Looks like you had a great day out with your daughter! Thank you for sharing, and best wishes for many more happy times together.

BTW the plant that you asked about is Goat's rue (Tephrosia virginiana).

Reactions: rc911

Joe M

Scout
Nov 6, 2008
Newark, DE
www.meritboundalley.com
It was a full day! She wanted to see everything, and truth be told, I wanted to show her as much as possible. She's heard me talk about home so much, and I wanted her to see some of the cool stuff that I've told her about lol

She grew up here in Delaware, and there's not a heck of a lot of ruins or even forest here.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Chilehead I went right past your post.Sorry about that. I got the family right at least:) I"ll stick to snakes fro now on:)

No worries brother. About those snakes, I need to get out to the Pine Barrens to see some herps! I'm not going anywhere near Cumberland County Bayshore until those midges and greenheads disappear, so interior barrens sounds like a good idea. ;)

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No worries brother. About those snakes, I need to get out to the Pine Barrens to see some herps! I'm not going anywhere near Cumberland County Bayshore until those midges and greenheads disappear, so interior barrens sounds like a good idea. ;)
Take water,the Barrens has almost killed me in summer on several occasions.I would suggest stay close to cool streams or at least in shaded cedar swamps unless of course you get a very nice day. take peremethrin.I know you have a tick phobia.I got loaded with about forty last week.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Having a few beautiful days right now - yesterday, today and tomorrow highs about 80 degrees with nice cool nights. Enjoy them while they last! The ticks have been really bad at my place, I watch them crawl right up my freshly-permethrin-treated pants. I think the nymphs (aka chiggers) are also out because I have a bunch of bites under my clothes.

@Joe M - looks like you had a fun day! It's great that you have such a good relationship with your daughter. When mine was that age, she would have enjoyed a "tour of the malls" a lot more than the Pines. :D But she turned out just fine and I now have a terrific son in law and fantastic granddaughter!

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Having a few beautiful days right now - yesterday, today and tomorrow highs about 80 degrees with nice cool nights. Enjoy them while they last! The ticks have been really bad at my place, I watch them crawl right up my freshly-permethrin-treated pants. I think the nymphs (aka chiggers) are also out because I have a bunch of bites under my clothes.

@Joe M - looks like you had a fun day! It's great that you have such a good relationship with your daughter. When mine was that age, she would have enjoyed a "tour of the malls" a lot more than the Pines. :D But she turned out just fine and I now have a terrific son in law and fantastic granddaughter!
I hope you watched them die and fall off your pants as well? I would hate to have peremethrin resistant ticks come out now!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No, that's the thing, they keep on going. :eek: I've seen them get disoriented and fall off in the past. But some make it up to my arms or hands now. I *assume* they would die eventually, but brush them off before that happens. My first thought was the same thing, that they are getting permethrin-resistant. But on further thinking, that doesn't make much sense. I don't think permethrin use is high enough to cause that to happen. I think it's just that there are a lot of ticks this year, so it's more likely that some will climb higher.

Maybe @Sue Gremlin has some thoughts on this? :)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
You're right, Boyd, there is no evidence yet that multi-host ticks (like the ones in the pines) are permethrin-resistant. There are situations with one-host ticks where they're exposed a lot, but that happens in mainly the extreme southern US with cattle ticks. But you're right, they're not exposed enough to develop a resistance. Permethrin should work just fine for you. And you are also right about it being a banner tick year.