Toyota 4runner

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I like the fluid film because it's just a temporary coating, rather than a layer that will eventually delaminate and peel off, or trap salt and moisture. I just spray it on every year in the fall and I dont have to worry one bit about overapplication.

Those 4runners tend to rust out the transmission cooler lines in the front below the radiator- I would look carefully at those. Also, it's typical for those trucks to need all four brake calipers replaced every few years (luckily they are inexpensive, around $50 or so each).

Reactions: bobpbx

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The frames on these and many other vehicles rust from the inside out due to debris and moisture being trapped against a primarily bare metal surface with almost zero airflow. The spray is to be used internally, the inside of the frame must be completely cleaned and dried for it to be effective. I have used a product from Eastwood on all of my Jeeps (5 so far) and have had zero issues with rust damage after the application. I have also enlarged the drains in the frame.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Personally, I'd just buy a cheap cable puller/come-along and an extra 50' of strap. Not the quickest but it would get you out of just about any sandy hole. Probably $75 or so including a nice tool bag to store it all in. That device in the video requires you to have extra length on the wheel studs that protrude beyond the wheel's outer surface- very few, if any, modern vehicles have this.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Here's my guess. If you are stuck in a mud puddle with a foot of water, it would be very hard connecting the winch to the wheel, specially when you need to switch out the lug nuts for the specialize ones. Unless you keep the special nuts on all the time. Or you just don't want to get wet and muddy.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bingo Ron!

I usually don't drive off-road, unless I'm crossing an open area like that one near Spring Hill. So, the only thing that really scares me is those long, muddy-looking puddles that are likely to have clay in the bottom along with deep ruts. If you get stuck in one of those ruts and the water is nearly level with the top of your tire, you have to put that thing on underwater, and maybe dig out the side of the rut too, and possibly in cold weather.

Sand does not scare me. I've never been stuck in sand with a decent 4 wheel vehicle.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's an oldie. Does anyone know what those hook-like metal bands are on the wheel?

1610072047040.png
1610072098845.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a 1974 or newer FJ40. It has been painted and you can see where it is rusted under the paint just below the headlight and behind the tow hook on the front grill. Both of mine did that also in the same place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a 1974 or newer FJ40. It has been painted and you can see where it is rusted under the paint just below the headlight and behind the tow hook on the front grill. Both of mine did that also in the same place.

Good eye, I didn't see that. There was one I looked at up by Belmar, and it had a bubble at the top of the windshield, dead center, right next to the windshield trim. About 3/4" round. I told the seller (used car dealer) it probably was a rock that glanced off there. He said no, it's just the spot where the automatic start sensor was. I ignored him and didn't buy it, but mostly for other reasons.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Getting parts were troublesome even when I owned them. Granted, the internet was not around as well as 1 day shipping. I loved mine but would never buy one now as they are very needy. I was always fixing something, especially on the 1973 I owned.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Getting parts were troublesome even when I owned them. Granted, the internet was not around as well as 1 day shipping. I loved mine but would never buy one now as they are very needy. I was always fixing something, especially on the 1973 I owned.

But Guy, to be fair, most vehicles were like that in 1973. It was common to be stuck on the side of the road, like an alternator or over-heating problem.

With that said, I'm not sure how the 2007 - 20014 (?) FJ cruisers fared as to reliability, but most for sale have over 120K miles and they still want good money for 'em.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The newer FJs are reliable and have about a 95% commonality with the 4runner and Tacoma when it comes to any sort of mechanical parts. The body was built by Hino, the heavy truck manufacturer, not Toyota. Those things are weirdly popular and have insane resale value. However- in my opinion- they are clumsy, impractical, ugly and inefficient (they're about as aerodynamic as a brick wall).

• Haha
Reactions: Wick and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The newer FJs are reliable and have about a 95% commonality with the 4runner and Tacoma when it comes to any sort of mechanical parts. The body was built by Hino, the heavy truck manufacturer, not Toyota. Those things are weirdly popular and have insane resale value. However- in my opinion- they are clumsy, impractical, ugly and inefficient (they're about as aerodynamic as a brick wall).

I recall reading about the windshield being flat was a problem. More likely to break due to no curvature--rocks could not glance off like a curved one.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I've had a few Jeeps with flat glass and Bob is correct, The early ones (CJ's) have thin glass and no support from the roll bar to the windshield, very easy to break the glass just driving without the top let alone a rock hit. 2nd gen Wranglers (YJ) are of the same design but have a support bar from the main roll bar hoop to each corner of the windshield frame, better for driving but still easily damaged by a rock hit. The later models (TJ) have a thicker laminate and a little more angle to the glass, no curve though and are still prone to chipping from taking hits. No experience with the newest Wranglers. I will say, a direct hit at speed from a rock on the highway is an attention getter! Sounds like a firecracker went off inside!