Track

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's that age-old argument. Is it a dog or a coyote.

1672514355616.png

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Is it a dog or a coyote.
Dog: Overall roundish shape toes. 2 & 3 claw is relatively low and close to heel pad. Toes 1 &b 4 point outwards.

Coyote: Overall oval shape toes. Toes 2 & 3 sit almost on top of 1 & 4. Claws pont inward.

Therefore my guess, and it's just a guess, it is a coyote. Where were the tracks, in your front yard?

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Dog: Overall roundish shape toes. 2 & 3 claw is relatively low and close to heel pad. Toes 1 &b 4 point outwards.

Coyote: Overall oval shape toes. Toes 2 & 3 sit almost on top of 1 & 4. Claws pont inward.

Therefore my guess, and it's just a guess, it is a coyote. Where were the tracks, in your from yard?
I agree with you. I was in a gravel pit in Lacey next to the parkway. Was a Parker Pit, now belongs to the DEP.

Therefore my guess, and it's just a guess, it is a coyote. Where were the tracks, in your from yard?
Agreed. Especially if there aren't any human tracks near by.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Going by that picture I’d say coyote. Do the tracks go basically in a straight line? Domestic dogs usually “bounce” all over checking everything. Coyotes cover a lot of ground and usually are in straight lines like they are on a mission and don’t do so many circles.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Going by that picture I’d say coyote. Do the tracks go basically in a straight line? Domestic dogs usually “bounce” all over checking everything. Coyotes cover a lot of ground and usually are in straight lines like they are on a mission and don’t do so many circles.
Yes, they had a purpose and there were no human tracks. I hoot and holler when I'm out in order to flush any out ahead of me. Came upon these in a few minutes.