Traffic Jam on Old Atsion

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Anybody know why Jackson Road was closed yesterday? I was heading east from Hopewell Rd/Rt 73 area along Jackson and found the road blocked just before Atco Speedway.

Traffic was being directed to the right into the housing area there. After hitting one dead end and turning around (I found it amusing that people were following me) I decided to follow a couple of trucks down a sand road. Yeah, it was old Atsion. I had to pull over several times to let people through. Saw a few other trucks cutting in on cross roads from probably Oak Shade Rd.

At one intersection I stopped to let two oncoming trucks by. They were there to pull out a truck 100 yards off to the left out of the sand. I talked to him for a minute. He told me which way to go at the fork in the road ahead and gave me a primer on sugar sand driving. He told me that I didn't want to get stuck that day because there were vehicles all over the area waiting to be pulled out. I turned around and traffic was backing up!

Side trip. After following a Jeep trying to get out to Oak shade for a while and turning around a few times, I headed back to Old Atsion. By the time we finally got to the lake area it was getting late and we didn't stay for too long. Went toward home on Atsion Rd and found that Jackson was closed from that intersection and west, still closed a couple of hours later and emergency crews still arriving.

Gillian