Trail growing cold for hunting in New Jersey

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I don't believe that hunting will be non-existant in 10 years. That guy quoted at the end of the article says he misses the outdoors...he can still go outside can't he?

I saw bunch of hunters in the woods last friday behind my house. Mostly hunting clubs, alot of kids with their fathers.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That was a pretty irresponsible statement about hunting to be non existent in 10 years made by someone representing Quail Unlimited.
The tradition of hunting is very difficult to pass on to today's youth for all of the reasons outlined in the article.
My sons who are now 21 and 19 and still hunt every season with bow and gun. They don't hunt quite as much as I did at their age.
They had video games when they were younger but they weren't welded to the controllers because we wouldn't allow it.
I made sure they were exposed to all types of hunting and fishing as they grew up.
My 21 year old doesn't care to fish and my 19 year old would rather fish and hunt than eat.
If I didn't live where I live, where we can literally walk out the door with a gun and go into the woods , I wonder if my kids would be hunting as much as they do.
Keeping hunting traditions alive is a lot of work but the lifetime appreciation of all things wild that comes from it is worth it.
Scott

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They're closing Hartshorne Park in the Highlands (densely populated, somewhat rich, up by Sandy Hook) for a bunch of days in January until noon specifically to allow hunters to go and hunt deer - again, specifically for deer population control.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070102/NEWS01/701020366/1004/NEWS01

If they're going to have hunters up in that area (again, densely populated and pretty wealthy) then I don't think that deer hunting in New Jersey is in any risk of going away.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
That was a pretty irresponsible statement about hunting to be non existent in 10 years made by someone representing Quail Unlimited. The tradition of hunting is very difficult to pass on to today's youth for all of the reasons outlined in the article.

I totally agree with Scott here. When I was a kid I wasn't much into video games, but sports did tend to interfere. Once I got to high school I hunted a lot less because I couldn't just ditch a weekend wrestling tournament to go hunting. Then when I went to college I was too poor and had to work all weekend. I hope that now I that I'm getting back into it I can pass it on to my kids.

If I didn't live where I live, where we can literally walk out the door with a gun and go into the woods , I wonder if my kids would be hunting as much as they do.

That's probably the biggest issue right there. There is so much land within 10 miles of my house that was either farmland or totally undeveloped as recently as 5-7 years ago. Now we have a huge big box shopping center (Wal-Mart, Lowes, Ruby Tuesdays, etc...) where there was once a 100 acre + apple orchard, a development of homes STARTING at $800K where there was nearly 300 acres of corn and Christmas trees. My father basically used to be able to walk out the back door with his 20 gauge and roam at will. The farmers and property owners all knew each other and everyone else in the area. Now that Hamilton Township is fast becoming the Cherry Hill of Mercer County I wonder if they'll eventually figure out how to drain the wetlands behind my house, stop the creek from flooding, and turn it into some kind of shopping mall.

In Washington Township, (one of the 7, right up 130 just west of Hightstown/East Windsor area) they're building what is touted as the "Washington Town Center," complete with town houses in neat rows, a man made lake, loft condominiums, and "downtown" shopping area, etc... All built on what used to be hundreds of acres of farmland. To me this is the most bizarre concept yet. First people decided that they wanted the peace and quiet of the country so they wanted a McMansion on a 1.5 acre lot built on farmland with trees around it. NOW we are building some sort of quasi-urban area on farmland!? This while our major urban centers (Trenton being just minutes away from this monstrosity) are literally rotting and crumbling before our eyes.

As much as I love the pines, the wilderness, and everything about it, I can appreciate cities and the positive aspects of them. What I can't understand is why if there is a market for loft condos, downtown shopping areas within walking distance of residences, etc...why this money can't be instead diverted to revitalizing a city? Trenton was an important city during both the American Revolution and the Industrial Revolution, and has tons of history, beautiful architecture, and loads of potential. What do we do? We turn a blind eye to the crime and blight and just say "Oh don't go there-even during the day," and spend millions to pave over farmland and recreate what is already there. In case you haven't realized, the revitalization of Trenton is a passion of mine-sorry for the :jeffd:

Keeping hunting traditions alive is a lot of work but the lifetime appreciation of all things wild that comes from it is worth it.

Amen.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
“People don't have access to private land anymore,” Battistine says. “Private land owners don't want to take the chance of having a hunter there and being slapped with a lawsuit.”

I'm sure this is a factor. The previous owner of my land used to let someone hunt here. When they asked if they could come this year I apologized and said no. Actually the liability issue didn't cross my mind, but I spend quite a lot of time myself outside in the woods, and I don't want anyone out there with a gun.

I don't have anything against hunters, but I spent a lot of my own money to buy this place and don't feel the need to share it with anyone other than my own family and friends....

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Not to jump in too late. I do not see this as a reality. Restriction of hunting for population control alone is B.S.
It is absolutely needed. We gots plenty of deer. ( and other critter )
The fellow who misses the outdoors? Agree with Woodjin, basically... B.S.
The only thing I have ever hunted is squirrel, and somehow I have found plenty of time to be outdoors.
Vid games? Believe it or not, nuts as it seems, aside from games on computer of which we have enough of... there is no Sega, Nintendo (any version), WII, Even Coleco, Atari, I don't care what in my house. There's too much else. We are not purists, far from it. There's just too much else out there. There is enough T.V. and indoor game time given and there is plenty outdoor to do even when I no longer hunt or do not even see myself showing my lads the sport.
I have a great respect for Hunters be it tradition or recreation. These dudes basically pay a crapload in permits zone by zone I believe. Do not think that the state of N.J. doesn't want that Revenue.
( Personal bet, I think they would promote it if numbers dropped too low )
Less access to hunting areas, yeah that is happening and it does stink. One major advantage to the dudes that live back here.
Only hunting I hate is club mentality ( 700 dudes against one deer ) and irresponsible gunning period. I am cool with old Lonely Oneshot Willy out there from Sun-up to sundown with bow, blackpowder, or even shotgun.
Hunting, going the wayside? I doubt it.

On a beat note, my wife just called me at lunch. Seems at the corner of Chew road (536) and 206 there is a pile of deer heads not really deep enough in the woods to be concealed and it upset my Youngin'.
I am cool with the discard of parts and see it frequently. Doesn't much bother me. My littlins' are still a little sqeemish on it. That these were so visible, that sucked.

G.

That's probably the biggest issue right there. There is so much land within 10 miles of my house that was either farmland or totally undeveloped as recently as 5-7 years ago. Now we have a huge big box shopping center (Wal-Mart, Lowes, Ruby Tuesdays, etc...) where there was once a 100 acre + apple orchard, a development of homes STARTING at $800K where there was nearly 300 acres of corn and Christmas trees. My father basically used to be able to walk out the back door with his 20 gauge and roam at will. The farmers and property owners all knew each other and everyone else in the area. Now that Hamilton Township is fast becoming the Cherry Hill of Mercer County I wonder if they'll eventually figure out how to drain the wetlands behind my house, stop the creek from flooding, and turn it into some kind of shopping mall.

In Washington Township, (one of the 7, right up 130 just west of Hightstown/East Windsor area) they're building what is touted as the "Washington Town Center," complete with town houses in neat rows, a man made lake, loft condominiums, and "downtown" shopping area, etc... All built on what used to be hundreds of acres of farmland. To me this is the most bizarre concept yet. First people decided that they wanted the peace and quiet of the country so they wanted a McMansion on a 1.5 acre lot built on farmland with trees around it. NOW we are building some sort of quasi-urban area on farmland!? This while our major urban centers (Trenton being just minutes away from this monstrosity) are literally rotting and crumbling before our eyes.

Being that I live in the same area, I've got to agree with you... periodically there's people wanting to drain the Hamilton-Trenton Marsh and put a shopping mall in... I hope that never becomes reality.

Just a pic that I took at Roebling park:
swan1ba1a.jpg

Nice shot! I'm ashamed to say that even though I live about 10 min from there I've never been. What is the best place to put in with a canoe or kayak?

The best spot in Roebling is on the other side of the park by the Watson House. This pic is by the launch spot:

parkbench1ab1a.jpg

Last time I kayaked in this area, we put in at Bordentown and went in with the tide to Roebling.

Roebling Park is basically my backyard; I can walk to it... its within a tenth of mile from my house.

If the deer season is banned, can we have animal rights activists season instead?

I love animals, I am all for animal welfare and treating animals right, but animals do not have rights. I was involved in with an animal rescue and those nutters got a bug up their bum about us. Ticked me off...

I've never been hunting in my life, I don't think I could kill anything. I do like fishing though :)

Great picture! Is that picture the same thing that can be seen from the light rail line?

You are seeing the Hamilton Trenton Marsh from the rail line but not the section where the picture was taken; the River Line is south of that point... you can see the spot where I took the picture from Rt 195/29 ... to get to it from the Delaware, you pass under the highway.