Train Kills Mother, Two Children!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Express kills Elm mother, two children.
An Elm mother and two of her five children were killed instantly at 6:10 P.M. Monday when the Blue Comet express train crashed into a light delivery Truck at an unprotected crossing not far from their home. They were Mrs. Antionette Macciocca, 35 of White Horse Pike Elm, and her two daughters, Gloria 13, and Jeanne, 4.
The accident took place as Mrs. Mocciocca was driving back to her home after visiting a neighbor to obtain advice on canning vegetables.
GAS TANK EXPLODES!
Parts of the wrecked truck scattered along the tracks for about a hundred yards. The gasoline tank exploded as the train struck and Gloria's body was badly burned. Alfred Macciolla, 44, the husband and father, collapsed at the scene of the accident. He is a bricklayer for a Hammonton contractor. His wife worked at Kessler's clothing factory here.
The crash occurred a few minutes after the New Jersey Central Railroad's luxury train left Hammonton, bound from Atlantic City to Jersey City. State police said the crossing was marked with a sign, but was without watchman, crossing bells, or signal lights.
The train stopped several hundred yards up the tracks and was delayed for an hour. The crew included A. Feryling, Phillipsburg, engineer, and J.F. Walsh, Somerville. They told police they saw the truck approaching and applied the emergency brakes, but were unable to halt the train before the tracks.
CALL RESCUE SQUAD!
Called to the scene by neighbors, the rescue squad of the Hammonton Volunteer Fire Company confined it's efforts to caring for the distrought father and assisting police and the train crew to clear the tracks.
The other Macciolla children are Gilda, 15, Felicia, 11, and Alfred Jr., 7.
Funeral services will be held at St. Joseph's R.C. church this morning at 12:00 a.m. Burial will be at Holy Cross cemetary, Philadelphia.
The Blue Comet Train will be taken out of service on September 28. Operated since 1929, it was the first train in this country with chairs instead of seats.

Sobering. You have just read, verbatim, the article from the Hammonton News, Hammonton N.J. Friday, September 12, 1941.
A little known incident to most and those few of these passed on from Hammonton and Elm. I've the good fortune to have a friend who, like myself listens to the tales of his elders, especially regarding the rails and the Comet. He in turn passes these to me. You'll likely not find this in books on the Comet but you will find it in the archives of the Hammonton News and the tellings of my friend from an oldtimer he knew well. His version, which prompted my search was that the woman had just picked up a load of tomatoes, stopped at a friend's and headed home via Union Road. To this day and all of my youth there was never a single warning of the train's approaching the Union Road intersect. No light, no bell, no brace to fold down to stop you. You take the Fleming Pike North and simply make the right turn on to Union Road as has been done for generations. Now imagine if you will this next twist as told by a person of the era familar with the little known details. A sad and ironic twist. Think of the Comet, cranking up to cruising speed from Hammonton, bound North. Think now of this next little known fact only to friends of the family. The truck's exhaust system/muffler was blown. Antionette never heard the train coming or it's warning horns. The scene was a horror not only of blood and the bodies involved but also strewn with the red of a truckload of tomatoes. Irony at it's best. Who can know? The Comet would see it's end a mere two weeks later but would take these lives in trade for those which would end it's own. A life for a life, a final message, or a sadness simply putting these souls in the wrong place at the wrong time? Whatever the case, it is as sad as any similar incident today.
I bring you this, not to sadden you, but perhaps to enforce that concept I convey in so many posts. Listen. Listen, and take it all in. Joyful or sad, these are the stories, the legacies of the Pine Barrens and that which we strive to preserve.

Thanks for reading.

g.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Truly, a sad story, to be sure. But a part of local history, nonetheless. Like George stated, the story is thick with irony. Thanx for listening (and posting).

John-

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Interesting, but sad, post George. tragedy usually carves deep lines in history, but this was a rare find. Makes you wonder about all the horrific inncidents that might have occured in our haunts, but were not on a large enough scale to be remembered in modern day.

Jeff

George:

Sorry to be so tardy in responding to your fabulous—but sad—newspaper article. I learn something new every day and your posting has provided me with heretofore totally unknown information. I had always held the belief that during the Blue Comet’s entire twelve-year run not a single loss of life had occurred. Your research reveals I am mistaken and I appreciate the due diligence with which you conducted your investigation. It is amazing to me that the Blue Comet operated to within a month of its discontinuance before the train took the life of a mother and her two children. A very sad story, full of pathos!

Keep looking for these types of stories, George!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Blue

Thanks for that story George! Very interesting being the last two weeks of service for the comet. Shame for the people though. But in 1941 I'm sure there were a number of trains coming through that area along with the Comet. They should have looked before crossing knowing a train could come through at almost any time. Kind of a grim lesson.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Accident site

Yesterday Deepexplr and I continued our quest of the Blue Comet.
I believe this is the site of the accident.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.687044196705415&lng=-74.81268882751465&z=14&type=m&gpx=

The article in the first post says the victims were from White Horse Pike, Elm.
Elm is here.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.67918374111695&lng=-74.82908248901367&z=13&type=m&gpx=
So if they were returning home they would probably have made a left off of Union onto Fleming Pike south, just wondering.

Looking from Fleming Pike down Union Rd

The tracks across Union Rd looking toward Fleming Pige.

The accident site.

Next to Winslow Junction.

Ed

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Winslow Jct

The Witness post. There are several engines and passenger cars at this site. Ed and I had a good visit as we were able to go inside some of these trains.

P1020240.JPG

Nice sleuthing, gentlemen!

Elm lost its 1871 station (constructed by Charles K. Landis’s Vineland Railway) in 1934 when the CNJ elevated the trackage through the area to accommodate a new bridge across the White Horse Pike, then being improved as a major highway route to Atlantic City. The railroad agency at the station closed in 1931. Prior to building the bridge, the Southern Division crossed the White Horse Pike at grade.

Best regards,
Jerseyman