Train-to-Blimp Transfer, Crossley PRR

Leewardian

Jan 2, 2021
Along the Jakes Branch
Someone somewhere else posted this video, which I'd never seen before (apologies to the original poster, wherever you are - I saved the video but forgot the source).

The stunt was neat but seeing the old village from the various camera angles was really cool. Anybody know of publications or local archives with more photos of Crossley in its heyday?

Erik/Leewardian

Reactions: Spung-Man and Boyd

Leewardian

Jan 2, 2021
Along the Jakes Branch
To follow up my own post, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on Crossley on Newspapers.com (am aware of the no-posting-newspapers-here rule, with good reason). The historic aerials site shows the buildings gone by 1956.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
To follow up my own post, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on Crossley on Newspapers.com (am aware of the no-posting-newspapers-here rule, with good reason). The historic aerials site shows the buildings gone by 1956.
I saw that on facebook, and tried to follow it to the railhead at Crossley. Did you determine it was that in the photo? I have no other sources that show the buildings. But, tonight, it never occurred to me to check the 1930 aerials. Duh.

1678161692109.png

Leewardian

Jan 2, 2021
Along the Jakes Branch
Yeah I used the slider comparison tool between the cleaner 1940 aerial and 2019, then cross referenced it to Google Maps to verify the trail pattern where the buildings were. Then I dove right down the research rabbit hole and clipped a bunch of articles on it. I've had success using Ancestry to trace families using obits to reach living descendants with photo albums for one of my main interests, Beachwood. This might be a good use of time this year for that. I'd just like to see what it looked like from the ground, if possible.

Erik/Leewardian