vroom. vroom. five mile drive ...

baIMG_0801.jpg

Holly Hills Golf Course in transition.

bbIMG_0801.jpg

bcIMG_0750.jpg

to the fairways

bdIMG_0754.jpg

beIMG_0756.jpg

FORE!!!!! Drat. Ball went in cattail swamp.

bfIMG_0759.jpg

bgIMG_0762.jpg

bhIMG_0765.jpg

biIMG_0766.jpg

green's thataway.

bjIMG_0767.jpg

the gorgeous back section of the course.

bkIMG_0769.jpg

trust me. take the long way around.

blIMG_0771.jpg

bmIMG_0772.jpg

bnIMG_0779.jpg

boIMG_0780.jpg

bpIMG_0778.jpg

bqIMG_0788.jpg

18th fairway (this hole was a par 5, but I never shot less than 12) and needing oxygen.

brIMG_0792.jpg

tossed 5-iron in this pond once.

bsIMG_0799.jpg

btIMG_0796.jpg

Whip salutes, waves from notorious sand trap.

The Salem County course closed a few years back. It's now a wildlife management area. Lots of memories of hooks and slices here, general cursing and the fishing of Titleists out of froggy ponds.

Thanks fer lookin'!

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Excellent photos. I used to love that course. Very beautiful with all the rolling hills. You're right about 18, the top of that hill seemed like it was a mile away standing on the tee box! IMHO, it was one of the most picturesque golf courses in South Jersey, and you recaptured all of it's former beauty. Thanx, Whip.

John-

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
was the iron toss into the pond on purpose in the midst of a temper tantrum or an accident?
I thought they would have tore that treacherous bridge out by now.I know it's nostalgic but some simple kid is going to get hurt on that thing,hopefully they can swim or the pond is shallow:)
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
The sepia treatment is perfect for that church-cemetery scene, and the grave stones are interesting for their symmetry. Whip, were any dates visible? The mossy close-up suggests that they are very old.

Nice transition from one transitory site to the next!

I like the slices of bright leaves (what's the background in the second?), and the golf course vistas are enticing, but the uncommon shots of common cattails keep me coming back for another look. The glistening furry seed-fluff is beautiful, the way you caught the light behind it.

Love that shadow trapped in the sand trap--it's a great closing salute.

Thanks, Whip, for letting us join your walk.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Was the iron toss into the pond on purpose in the midst of a temper tantrum or an accident?

I won't confess to either (but toss should give you a hint). I did eventually strip down to my underwear and go in after the club, and the ball that preceded it. :)

The sepia treatment is perfect for that church-cemetery scene, and the grave stones are interesting for their symmetry. Whip, were any dates visible? The mossy close-up suggests that they are very old.

Many of the stones were worn beyond reading. I was in the oldest part of the cemetery, Glo. But I remember seeing some dates. I just don't recall now, several days later, what these were. :(

I like the slices of bright leaves (what's the background in the second?)

I tried to add some texture in Photoshop to enhance the veins in the leaves. The sky grew veins, too. Oh, well.

Oh ... John. I'm happy to see somebody else on the forum experienced the course in its beautiful heyday. I refused to rent a cart when I played there; that final stretch nearly did me in dozens of times.