Tree Frog at Friendship Bogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This afternoon I headed our for a rare afternoon search with my wife. Yes, I said my wife :) Anyway, we were not searching for stones but rather Tree Frogs at Friendship Bogs. Arriving there we found the mosquitos to be quite frustrating, but perseverance paid off especially after using my tree frog call that Bobpbx has basically been teaching me all these years. My wife actually was impressed :D

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7484a.jpg

IMG_7491a.jpg

IMG_7497a.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I appreciate that from both of you!

That frog actually is really small, and it is about 8 feet up in the tree. I was on my toes pulling the branches down trying to get the shots. It kept jumping from branch to branch and at one point it was hanging by one toe or whatever they are called. It was not happy so I took the shots as fast as I could so I could leave it alone. I have quite a bit of respect for how unique they are.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Those shots look prefessional Guy.How did you locate him?By sound alone or did you actually carry on a conversation with Him?If you can get them to respond to you that would definitely be a trick i need to learn,It would cut the locating time way down.It normally takes me and Whip a half hour or better to locate one frog because they call infrequently and get shyer the closer you get.We use triangulation where both try to zero in from two different points and where they cross the frog is in there somewhere.
I have sucessfully called in Barred Owls but have never tried with treefrogs.I'll have to experiment with this.Maybe i can start on peepers and greys which literally have set up a compound next to my house this year.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those shots look prefessional Guy.How did you locate him?By sound alone or did you actually carry on a conversation with Him?If you can get them to respond to you that would definitely be a trick i need to learn,It would cut the locating time way down.It normally takes me and Whip a half hour or better to locate one frog because they call infrequently and get shyer the closer you get.We use triangulation where both try to zero in from two different points and where they cross the frog is in there somewhere.
Al,

I was actually calling them and they responded. Bob cups his hands and makes the noise they do and I have been trying that. When they became quiet I called and they started up again. Unfortunately, they were not close enough for me to narrow them down. So after walking around a while looking at all the bushes and trees along the water, I went back to the intersection to talk to my wife who was looking for them there. (BTW, this is where you and Bill go) I then turned around and walked about 30 feet from the intersection up the trail towards the water and gave them a call. I was facing the water and suddenly one was in the tree right behind me. I spun around, narrowed it down while it was still calling and pointed it out to my wife who also saw it calling. I did not get my video going fast enough or I would have video of it. My wife has this really cool Avon HD video camera and she took plenty of video there. She has me calling, them calling, her talking to the camera, me talking to her, etc. The video of her taking to the camera is quite funny.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, I don't know whether you notice me doing it or not, but as you call, AAACK, AAACK, AAACK, close both nostrils with your index fingers on the side of the nose (press in) everytime you make the sound.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not notice that. I will try that the next time.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I traveled out after dark tonight to photograph Tree Frogs. I spent the first hour swatting Mosquitos constantly, but once the frogs started I was too busy looking for them to worry about the pests. I need to learn to bring a flashlight because looking for them using the camera flash does not work well.

First, I found these nearby. I am not sure what species they are but it does not look good.

IMG_7610.jpg

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

This one was really shy. It jumped from tree to tree trying to get away from me. The others just sat there and took the flash.

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
if you like I can send that caterpillar pic into the bug guide website and they will identify them for you.I know some spiny caterpillars are venemous but I doubt these are.We have venemous saddleback caterpillars,buck moth caterpillars and puss caterpillars.I know these aren't saddlebacks or puss's not sure about buck moths,they actually look like they could be.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will take a shot on the Caterpillar.......Buck Moth Caterpillar - Hemileuca maia

I have to agree. I just read they give a nasty sting, and they are bad news for the pines. I wonder if there is an outbreak of them in the pines.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
All,

I traveled out after dark tonight to photograph Tree Frogs. I spent the first hour swatting Mosquitos constantly, but once the frogs started I was too busy looking for them to worry about the pests. I need to learn to bring a flashlight because looking for them using the camera flash does not work well. Guy

Guy,

Did you return to Friendship for this? I'll probably be heading there this evening. Every Memorial Day Weekend I usually visit the bogs for my final WONK!fest of the season. While there a couple of weeks ago, the mosquitoes were so bad they picked me up and dropped me to the ground 25 feet up-bog! :) I can't imagine you being able to find these elusive critters with merely a camera flash on hand. I must give you credit for that. All of your frog pictures are wonderful as well. The PBTFs I approach seem flustered at first, but I soon become an old hat to them and they resume WONK!ing to beat all.

Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, I was at the same location. I have a video of the mosquitos and will post it later this morning. They were terrible.

I have to say I have been there 5 times and there are good times and bad times to find them. When I went late afternoon they would wonk, but on 3 occasions such as last night when I arrived an hour before sunset they did not wonk a peep. It was not until it was dark that they started talking. So I know now to get there early or just after sunset.

I was there an hour and a half and I did not hear or see a single person or car at that location. I was alone and it was enjoyable.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=buck+moth&search=Search

i went on and pretty much ID'ed it myself.Yes it is a bunch of buck moth caterpillars.Glad you didn't touch em Guy.I was lit up in florida by a wad of IO moth caterpillars on my shoulder as i ran by a bush playing tag.Damn near dropped me from the pain.After my mom put alcohol on it a couple hours later i went out to investigate and found them all clustered on a branch of the bush i brushed when i fel the pain.I cut the sprig and put them in a glass jar with leaves to eat.the next day they were all dead.I actually gloated with some satisfaction.I was a revengeful little cuss back then.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
In addition to the saddleback,Puss and Buck moth caterpillars being venemous I just located another kind.The stinging rose caterpillar which looks like a candy cane saddleback.In any case if the caterpillar is spiny or hairy it's probably best left alone.
Al