Trepidations

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am asking for opinions. I'm interested in a home here below in LiesureTown in Southampton Township, east of 206 and 70 circle. It's at the end of the arrow. The arrow starts on Big Hill Landfill, which is long closed. The company who owned it went bankrupt trying to keep up with the legitimate demands of the DEP, who were trying to get him to properly cap it. Leachate was leaking out. The DEP did cap it and now a solar farm is on top. But at one time residents claimed of methane smells, and this home is only about 1/4 mile away from all of this. Not to mention (correct me if you know differently) there is a defunct pig farm(?) to the east as you can see.

For several reasons this house would suit me. But what is your opinion. I'm like 70% NO, due to the history of the landfill.

1674229694608.png

Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I know several people who live in Giesertowne, including my mother. She is on Marlborough Dr, quite a bit away. I haven't heard of any complaints and there is municipal water. There is a monthly rag put out by Liesuretowne called The Watch Dog. You could stop by the office and maybe get a copy and ask questions. The residents are active online at the Neighborhood and the local FB page. You could monitor those and ask questions.
The office bldg 113.
Office.jpg

Neighborhood page.
FB.

The pig farms I think are old history.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Ed, good advice. There is a pond in that neighborhood called Canterbury pond, which had leachate at the bottom. I think it may be this one, but not positive.

1674236418871.png

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks Ed, good advice. There is a pond in that neighborhood called Canterbury pond, which had leachate at the bottom. I think it may be this one, but not positive.

View attachment 19120
That's up by the office far from the Hill, which was owned by Bob Drayton. He put in my septic and pumps it, very well-known and regarded. My mom lives on a lake here since 2000 and I never heard of a problem. If you don't mind restrictions, it is a good place to live.
marlborough Drive.
Marlborough Dr.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I think we had a similar conversation many years ago Bob. I could never live around a homogenous gaggle of old people yapping about their meds and nosing into your business because they sure as hell don't have anything else to do. :)

As for methane collection and other odors, if they are still venting the landfill, I would see what it is like in the summer with southerly winds. The south wind is coming right at you from the landfill.

• Haha
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I know several people who live in “ Seizuretown” and they all are happy there. The pig farm put out an awful odor when in operation, but with it now gone I’ve not heard of any similar complaints. One of the things that did bother me about those homes was the electric baseboard heating.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think we had a similar conversation many years ago Bob. I could never live around a homogenous gaggle of old people yapping about their meds and nosing into your business because they sure as hell don't have anything else to do. :)

As for methane collection and other odors, if they are still venting the landfill, I would see what it is like in the summer with southerly winds. The south wind is coming right at you from the landfill.
I did not expect any less from you, and I looked foward to your comic relief. Yeah, I understand what you are saying; ill winds. Apparently the DEP put in a burn off torch, but I hear it's not lit anymore.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know several people who live in “ Seizuretown” and they all are happy there. The pig farm put out an awful odor when in operation, but with it now gone I’ve not heard of any similar complaints. One of the things that did bother me about those homes was the electric baseboard heating.
Yes, the electric homes is a concern. This one has a heat pump, likely a little less in cost I suspect.