Trestle near Hebrew Park

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I had heard about an old trestle behind Hebrew Park in Forked River/Bayville, and I finally found it today. One half of it's badly burnt. I can't find any info about it or if it even has a name. I just know it's a local swimming hole. Anyone know what I'm talking about or know anything about it?

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Stu said:
I had heard about an old trestle behind Hebrew Park in Forked River/Bayville, and I finally found it today. One half of it's badly burnt. I can't find any info about it or if it even has a name. I just know it's a local swimming hole. Anyone know what I'm talking about or know anything about it?

Stu,

I believe the trestle is from the Barnegat Branch of the CNJ's Southern Division.

What specific information are you looking for? I will check and see what I can dig-up.

Ken

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Mainly what line it was from and whether that specific trestle had a name. I wanted to photograph it for my site but I don't like putting things up without any info.
A while back there was a small site called the Bayville Virtual Tour which had some info on this trestle, but since then it's shut down. A Google search didn't dig up anything either.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Stu said:
Mainly what line it was from and whether that specific trestle had a name. I wanted to photograph it for my site but I don't like putting things up without any info.
A while back there was a small site called the Bayville Virtual Tour which had some info on this trestle, but since then it's shut down. A Google search didn't dig up anything either.

Stu,

I will confirm later but I beleive it's the Barnegat Branch of the CNJ's Southern Division.

Can you send me the pic to njvike@yahoo.com ?

Ken

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Stu said:
Didn't take any yet, but I'm probably heading back out there sometime this week.

Stu,

The trestle that is there was part of the Barnegt Branch of the CNJ's Souther Division.

This line will become a rail-trail from South Toms River to Barnegat soon. Some person I chat with says he has seen people fishing from the trestle on a few occasions. Hope this helps.

Ken

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
The Trestle

Is that a good take out place for a good canoe or kayak run along the Cedar Creek? I read about the trestle in a book about paddling in the area.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Finally

Stu said:
Finally got to taking those pics today....

http://www.stuofdoom.com/trestle.html

I couldn't get too many since there were about 20 people there. Quite busy today.

Stu,

Is this your site? I've been there before and really like it.

Let me know if you're ever up in the Sussex/Morris/Warren county area.

There's still a lot to explore and see. I have been hiking the rails-to-trails areas and have some good shots of the old L&NE, L&HR and Sussex Branch lines of the DL&W. There are still some mile markers and stations still in tact.

Ken

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
The Trestle

Piney1125 said:
Is that a good take out place for a good canoe or kayak run along the Cedar Creek? I read about the trestle in a book about paddling in the area.

2 canoe groups meet up there that I've seen. There are always canoes & kayaks there.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Finally

Stu said:
njvike said:
Stu,

Is this your site?

Yup, that be mine. I don't have a whole lot from up north, because everyone up there who used to explore has moved away.

Well, there *might* be a group trip heading north during the fall. We will explore the ruins of Oxford furnace as well as some old churches in this area. In addition, we will explore the Paulinskill Viaduct and surrounding areas.

Ken

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Finally

njvike said:
We will explore the ruins of Oxford furnace as well as some old churches in this area. In addition, we will explore the Paulinskill Viaduct and surrounding areas.

Ken

Never been to any of those places other than the viaduct a few months back. There's a small memorial there to the guy who fell off the viaduct not too long ago.