Trip Report: Batsto to Lower Forge

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Batsto to Lower Forge
OR
How to keep a fire in the Rain
It was a nice Saturday morning. On my way to meet Lost Soul and Skinner at The Emiliano Carranza Memorial action seemed to be everywhere. Just past Atsion Lake a huge trail ride was getting under, there must have been fifty horse trailers. The horses anticipated a morning out and they snorted out approval in cold air answers. I saw a red tail hawk cross my path twice on my way to the car drop off point. It even looked as if the Sun might fight its way through the clouds. The day looked promising indeed.
I arrived on Carranza’s dirt road at 8:05 and wondered when the day would begin. It turns out not for twenty minutes, because I sat parked in a different spot then the fella’s. I didn’t see them till I took a walk over to the memorial, I heard Mark call out my name. We said our hellos with a dead skunk in spitting distance, was all that bad sign though? I don’t think so, but maybe it was some kind of strong smelling rainy omen. So we flashed down dirt route 532 to get over to Batsto for our start
We picked up a pass for the night and were informed a fire ban was in effect, not my kinda news, but that’s that. In the Parks headquarters some fine new exhibits on the area have gone up. Examples of the wildlife are done in these very tasteful exhibits. A stuffed coyote displayed along with details of the animal’s resurgence in the area was very interesting. These exhibits were filled with great area artifacts and cool audio playbacks. Others show the native culture that lived there and other periods of colonization. After a short look around, I bought a patch, and we moved out.
The weather was overcast but very comfortable to hike in. The first three miles were up the white trail out of Batsto. It has some nice views of the Mullica River and also gave us the opportunity to walk a little on a swamp line. Most of the trail, besides the swamp line, follows a recently re-cut fire-line that runs with sugar sand. It can be a struggle on undulating terrain that quickly has you trying to pick your feet up out of it or walk above the trail. Once off the fire-line we jumped on the Batona for another 5 miles up to the Forge campsite. While we crossed some nice swamps on the way up we also crossed a good deal of controlled burn. Those thick pine and oak trees of the area are fire resistant. While scorched they were intact for the most part. Only the underbrush and fuel was gone though, the trees remained intact.
The Lower Forge campsite has been one of my favorite for years; it sits on the Mullica River with some really nice side trails that lead into adjoining swamps. Unfortunately, the State has run a series of burns through the campsite, not only removing its secluded feeling, but also one that’s unappealing for the hikers. I will not return until some regrowth starts. I understand the need for the removal of underbrush and fuel, but the state should have thought about some other measures, or in the least they need to make hikers aware of the conditions they are going into. Around 230 the rain slowly started, nothing bad at first, just enough to get the rain gear out. We sat and talked and puzzled over the concept of “elevated fire”, that’s what was to be allowed in the area. So with temperatures dropping we decided to make an elevated dirt mound, a little Cahokia if you will. The rain continued and then a large Boy-scout Troop arrived. Mind you, I’m happy to share a campsite, but shouldn’t the scouts be hiking? They appeared to have come from an illegal sand road a mile away, bringing with them ALL the comforts of home. The rain came harder and one of the scouts took to whistling rain drops keep falling on my head over, and over, and over. If I had had a pepsi-can stove I would have hurled in their general direction, ala Molotov cocktail, to quiet the incessant noise. If they would have hiked in I bet the noise would have been a lot lighter.
The rain never reached downpour, but it was steady all through the night. As it got colder I retreated into the tent to warm up and eat a nice dinner. Skinner and Lost Soul were troopers. They did there best to bring that fire to life. I lay there, snug in my bag, picking at some dinner while the guys fought the good fight. At one point Skinner yelled out, “Hey Joe! Look! The fire is going!” At which I rolled over, saw the flames through my little window and yelled out congratulations. After which I preceded to lie back down and laugh to myself about there persistence. Good job fella’s.
We rose early because the weather forced us into the sack early. Once the rain stopped we made a hasty breakfast packed up and hit the trail. This was an experimental weekend for me. I decided on going lite and carried maybe 22 lbs. Gotta say it was fantastic! I ate up trail, felt strong, and led the entire time. It was exhilarating, and I plan to add myself to the ultra light gang from now on. Don’t get me wrong, there is something to be said for weight sometimes. If Lost Soul didn’t have that monster pack of his I wouldn’t have gotten those extra stakes I needed to guy out my tent, thanks bro. Truth is though, I think I’m hooked on this light weight concept, I will not return to kitchen sink hiking again. The hike out, as in, was rain free, overcast, but nice hiking weather. Turned out to be about 5 miles out. We ran over more burn, one of which looked un-controlled. Otherwise it was uneventful except for a few deer. On a side note, a motocross rally was going on through side trails around us and every now and then we saw one screaming by. Looked like a fun way to spend the day. Around ten we hit the relay cars and said our goodbyes. Skinner took Lost Soul back to Batsto to retrieve his vehicle and I was off for home. Nice hiking with 12 miles or so, lazy boy scouts, and a fire in the rain. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report..well written. Thanks for sharing it.

I agree that light packing is best. What do others think?

Guy

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
ultra light is the way to go. The gear is just getting lighter all the time, two years ago I was carrying a mix of older gear and military surplus, I went to Alaska for two weeks and on the way out of Sitka my gear and extra clothes toppled the scales at close to seventy pounds! Now my basic summer pack without food and water is 15 pounds. It cost a bit to get there but it is worth it!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice report, and good reading. Felt like I was there. I hate when it rains when camping. By the way, you meant the Batsto several times when you said Mullica, right? Isn't lower forge camp on the Batsto?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
By the way, you meant the Batsto several times when you said Mullica, right? Isn't lower forge camp on the Batsto?

You are correct Bob

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way. Does it make sense for the state to make their stupid controlled burns way the hell out in the woods where there are no houses only to make you build a protective tower for your fire in the freaking rain? And they burn all around the campsite so it will never burn in 5 years yet you can't have a fire?

:jeffd:

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
grendel said:
ultra light is the way to go. The gear is just getting lighter all the time, two years ago I was carrying a mix of older gear and military surplus, I went to Alaska for two weeks and on the way out of Sitka my gear and extra clothes toppled the scales at close to seventy pounds! Now my basic summer pack without food and water is 15 pounds. It cost a bit to get there but it is worth it!

Sitka is a great place, did you do any other parts of the Inside Passage or Alaska? I hiked throughout the Passage a few years ago and was blown away, Tongass Natl. Rainforest did it for especially.

Dargo

Mar 23, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
**Golf Clap**

Nice report. I'm still vasilating on whether or not to do Batsto to the Mullica River campsite tomorrow. After reading your report, does this mean no campfires allowed?

Also, I own a WRX and I know there's been rallies down in the Pines before. Did you notice what kinds of cars were passing by?

Regards,

PS - Light is the way to go.... I'm not 100% of the way there yet but I'm working on it. It should probably be its own thread topic. Also, check out the forums here http://www.backpacking.net/

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bobpbx said:
Nice report, and good reading. Felt like I was there. I hate when it rains when camping. By the way, you meant the Batsto several times when you said Mullica, right? Isn't lower forge camp on the Batsto?

My last three overnighters have been in the rain. I was at the Kirkridge shelter on the A.T. in PA last month in a driving sleet storm.:jeffd: Your correct about the Batsto by the way, thats what I meant but did not say.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bobpbx said:
By the way. Does it make sense for the state to make their stupid controlled burns way the hell out in the woods where there are no houses only to make you build a protective tower for your fire in the freaking rain? And they burn all around the campsite so it will never burn in 5 years yet you can't have a fire?

:jeffd:

All good points. If a previous burn in the area raised the alarm bell well its o.k. with me, but with a highly visited campsite like the Forge I just think they should have reduced the area fuel and kept the site intact, especially since we have so few wilderness sites in the Pines. Thats another pet peeve though. How come we have 10's of thousands of acres but only a handful, less really, of back country sites? I really would like to know the answer to this one.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Dargo said:
**Golf Clap**

Nice report. I'm still vasilating on whether or not to do Batsto to the Mullica River campsite tomorrow. After reading your report, does this mean no campfires allowed?

Also, I own a WRX and I know there's been rallies down in the Pines before. Did you notice what kinds of cars were passing by?

Regards,

PS - Light is the way to go.... I'm not 100% of the way there yet but I'm working on it. It should probably be its own thread topic. Also, check out the forums here http://www.backpacking.net/[/quote
There was a fire ban last weekend, but that does not mean its in effect this weekend. Give them a call and they can tell you for sure.

That terrible, terrible REI and Campmor, they can sell me gear like a dealer sells crack to a junkie:( :)
I use a variety of gear for different trips, with my new attitude I use; Golite Dawn pack (under 1 lbs-but really a glorified stuff sack)-Gregory Z Pack (3 1/2 lbs-loads of room, bladder bag, top and side loading..all around good stuff) petzl headlight-ounces. HiTec boots (rugged 2 1/2 lbs..I love them, but not the best for Pines terrain) and odds and ends..........

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Thanks all for the kind words.:)
Don't have a date set yet, but I'm going to do the entire Batona sometime next month over three days---Probably 2 20's and a 10. All are welcome:jd:

Dargo

Mar 23, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Piney Boy said:
Thanks all for the kind words.:)
Don't have a date set yet, but I'm going to do the entire Batona sometime next month over three days---Probably 2 20's and a 10. All are welcome:jd:

Will you have adrenaline needles and a defibrillator for the 20 mile days:)

When I did Batsto to Batona campsite last summer I was exhausted. It seemed that the first 8 miles or so were easy and the last 4-5 were like a deathmarch:jeffd:

Admittedly, I had way too much gear which definatley wears you down over the course of the hike. Being 250 lbs doesn't help either.

But good luck, and when I get lighter and fitter I'd love to do the whole trail:guinness:

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Dargo said:
Will you have adrenaline needles and a defibrillator for the 20 mile days:)

When I did Batsto to Batona campsite last summer I was exhausted. It seemed that the first 8 miles or so were easy and the last 4-5 were like a deathmarch:jeffd:

Admittedly, I had way too much gear which definatley wears you down over the course of the hike. Being 250 lbs doesn't help either.

But good luck, and when I get lighter and fitter I'd love to do the whole trail:guinness:

20 miles is my limit, beyond that I'm not much good for anything for the next few days. I figure to start early on day one, slow pace it, and see how far we go. If your interested in doing a lighter stretch your welcome to come on out. I figure on having a group of folks and not everyone will be up for the longer haul.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
kayak trip

started my kayak season yesterday with the OCSJ crew, nice day
left "Bordentown Beach" to Roebling Park by way of Crosswicks Creek and Watsons Creek
saw many Red tail hawks, ducks and an Osprey and some furry kritter swam across in front of us
what was new on this trip is they (did not hear who they are) are in the process of opening up the Delaware and Raritan canal at the begining of Crosswicks creek, so we paddled up the canal about a half mile or so, but still could go further but time did not allow and saw some interesting canal related objects
total trip, 9.1 miles a good start for the season

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I was mostly just in the sitka area, did some kayaking south of there,and some hiking out around town.I could never forget that place , hard to compare to anywhere else. Unique like the pine barrens. I am planning a trip for 7/4/07 back up there, I want to take the ferry north and kayak back.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
grendel said:
I was mostly just in the sitka area, did some kayaking south of there,and some hiking out around town.I could never forget that place , hard to compare to anywhere else. Unique like the pine barrens. I am planning a trip for 7/4/07 back up there, I want to take the ferry north and kayak back.

I rafted the Chilcat River in Haines, its the largest Bald Eagle Reserve in the world, what an experience! Also hiked Tongass and up to Rainbow Falls another crazy beautiful sight. Its definitely unique like the Pines, thats not the first time I've heard that comparison eitheir. Don't know when my next trip back will be, going to Viet Nam next Feb. and hiking the WonderLand Trail at Mt. Ranier in Sept., but it will happen.
The Ferry is the only way to see the Passage.:)

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
My Sitka trip was actually my second to Alaska.I went to visit a friend in anchorage in 08/02. I left for the trip aug.9. My first wife asked for a divorce aug.7. I remember chain smoking marlboros and drinking alot of whiskey. we did some stuff in a place called homer, that involved trading punches with fishermen in a place called the "salty dog saloon" (can you imagine finding rowdy fisherman in a place called the salty dog! What luck!)Then we went on a charter boat and caught an octopus after about 5 hours of fishing in 3 foot seas with fat lips and broken knuckles. Anyway things got better.I am going to try and swing a trip out to the seattle area this summer,my friend from Alaska moved down there.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Sorry about the divorce, but nice story of the Salty Dog and all. The Octopus had to be very cool. I saw a Brown bear eating a salmon on the banks of the Chilcat, was a little scared but he showed no interest in me, so it was mighty cool. Enjoy that huge timber outside of Seattle, it is well worth the trip.