Trip report: Shiver Me Timbers and Blow Me Down

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Me and a buddy of mine crossed and recrossed the swamp 3 years ago.we started at the north end just south of the old bogs and headed south by south southwest and crossed some of the worst blowdown areas I have ever had the pleasure of crawling through and under and over.It took 2 hours to traverse .9 mi,the firt .6 mi were blowdowns one after another.All trees were pointing southeast so their must be a killer northwest wind occasionally in the area.the last . 3 tenths was a beautiful cedar swamp that was not hard to traverse at all.The difference in the terrain is quite noticeable on google maps but not as obvious on terraserver in black and white.we crossed the sleeper creek and into a beautiful meadow on the western fringe of the swamp and then turned and heaed due east and recrossed the swamp on a different angle back thru the nice area and into blowdown hell again.we popped out in another pretty wet meadow though much smaller and then out into the large open sandy area with a road running into it from constable bridge road.this road is not readily apparent from constable bridge road but once you find it it opens up back toward the swamp.
I was starting to think me and my buddy were the only ones to ever cross it.We caught one spotted turtle as we headed in and saw one buzzard circling us hoping we wouldnt make it and that was it for wildlife.The blowdown area seemed devoid of critters.no deer trails till we got to the western edge,no deer poop,nothing.
The history on the monster was awesome Guy.I figured it was there since the 40"s or 50"s.I tried to start it and drive it out.I was gonna make a swamp buggy out of it but my mechaninical skills are lacking.I think it has a dead battery,heck it may not of even had a battery or a key for that matter.I"m great for coming up with new ideas but have a hard time seeing them through.This was another instance of that:)
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
heres our route three years ago across the swamp

Attachments

• great swamp.jpg
    great swamp.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 298

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just read this to my husband and he said the swamp monster isn't a bulldozer, but a steam shovel or something like that, and that he always assumed that it was used to lift the logs with its crane. Would that be feasible to you? That it was used to load the logs onto the sleds?

Sorry Sue, I just saw this.

I was thinking the person who wrote the article did not know the difference between a bulldozer and a crane, The monster itself has tracks just like a bulldozer and I suspect they felt it was.

In any event, I will try to check more into this and find out why they stopped for over a year. I was thinking it was because their main piece of equipment failed. The monster!

Some of the wood was reported to be rotting by the time they finally did get to them. They had a time limitation in the contact to get the wood out, and apparently they just made it.

And I believe someone was to plant new trees and I saw no evidence that occurred. It sound like there were problems with that complete operation that still effects the area today.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob,
that was the only swamp i was ever afraid to cross myself.Something told me not to do it myself but to take someone with me so two of us went.I don't know if it's because I"m getting older and more cautious but just looking at that swamp from the edge the first time i saw it down by the swamp monster in the early 90"s made me nervous.I love cedar and it called to me.I beat through the clear cut to the edge of the swamp and ran into a stream that was partially frozen and uncrossable at that point unless i wanted to wade chest deep which at 15 degrees was out of the question.I was by myself and the swamp across the creek looked like a no nonsense mess.I didnt go back an do it till about 10 years later.I poked into the edge in several places but always ran into cedar blowdowns that said "I"ll eat you" in tree langauge.I"d rather tackle 10 ft tall briar thickets alone then the blowdowns i went through at the north end of the swamp.If theirs cougar and bear in the barrens they must live in this swamp.I love it in there but if your alone and break a leg in there outside of some darn good hound dogs your a goner.
Al