Trip to Cape May County, Sat., Aug. 24

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Email me for directions to my house if you would like to, at criterion1974@yahoo.com. If you live in or north of Atlantic County it might be easier to go down with me. I'll be leaving between 10:15 and 10:30. We'll meet up at Seaview Cemetery, which is on Route 9 across from the Second Cape May Baptist Church in Palermo, in Cape May County, not too far south of the Beesley's Point Bridge. At that cemetery there is one bog iron gravemarker, and a handful of conventional stone markers from the 1700s. From there we will hop on the parkway and stop in at the Palermo Rest Stop, at mile marker 23 in Palermo, to see the "Shoemaker Holly", the oldest American Holly in NJ. From there we'll have to get out our maps and find the best way to get to Beaver Swamp Wildlife Management Area and hike to see the Baldcypress tree there. We'll also go to the Rio Grande Swamp, the West Creek Cemetery on Route 347 in Cumberland County, and Cumberland Furnace, which is east of Millville. Who knows. We may even stop in at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Millville, if we feel we have the time, to look at the 2 bog iron gravemarkers there. This is basically an all day trip. Bring your own lunches, or money for lunch. We'll probably find a Wawa somewhere at luch time.
Barry