tub mill dam

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
went exploring yesterday with my husband and found an old dam back from the wading river. think it is tub mill dam. read on this site about someone else who was exploring in same area in 2008. wondering when it was built, etc. any info would be appreciated.

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
did read the post from jerseyman before i wrote mine. the dam we found was back in the woods and i don't think it is where he was. this dam was up from the river and there was a small stream there. we have a topo map of the area and it shows a tub mill branch rd. we were not on that road. we walked in off of the road that leads to harrisville. the road we were on can't be driven on.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
did read the post from jerseyman before i wrote mine. the dam we found was back in the woods and i don't think it is where he was. this dam was up from the river and there was a small stream there. we have a topo map of the area and it shows a tub mill branch rd. we were not on that road. we walked in off of the road that leads to harrisville. the road we were on can't be driven on.

Patt, can you use the livemaps to pinpoint where you were?

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
did see posted signs but we were only walking and exploring nothing else. beautiful area. just started using this site. pinelandpaddler what are livemaps?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Click the NJPB Live Maps link at the top of the page, it will take you here: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/

To post a link to a spot on the map, first choose the map you want by clicking one of the buttons at the top, then zoom way in and drag the map until the spot is in the middle of your screen. Then copy the URL from the address bar in your browser and paste it into your post.

For example, this link should show Stafford Forge on a USGS topo: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66739138012892&lng=-74.31872248649597&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just remember that once you drop the pointer and then drag the map, the link you post will not be in the proper spot. So it is best to make your final decision on where you want the pointer to be, drop it, and then copy the link.

Also, the pointer is stored at Batsto, so as you move to Harrisville take the pointer with you.

Guy

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
thanks for the info on the maps. we have topo maps that show the same stuff. still don't know anything about the dam.. it looked very interesting. was just wondering when it was built and for what purpose.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
thanks for the info on the maps. we have topo maps that show the same stuff. still don't know anything about the dam.. it looked very interesting. was just wondering when it was built and for what purpose.

I still don't know the location you are referring to.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Same here. I suspect she is not getting the proper responses because she has not used Live Maps. I have been in that area looking for stones but did not explore in detail. As Turtle said it is private property and Jessica and I were very cautious. We could hear the campground action in the distance.

Guy

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.639074891429715&lng=-74.50318336486816&z=14
ok i think i figured out how to use the live map. please bear with me, have ever used one. you will see on the map a little black line. we are pretty sure that is the dam. we weren't near the campground though. my husband is from that area and said we weren't near the campgrounds. absolutely beautiful area on the river there. saw lots of ducks and a few swans.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.639074891429715&lng=-74.50318336486816&z=14
ok i think i figured out how to use the live map. please bear with me, have ever used one. you will see on the map a little black line. we are pretty sure that is the dam. we weren't near the campground though. my husband is from that area and said we weren't near the campgrounds. absolutely beautiful area on the river there. saw lots of ducks and a few swans.

Patt,

I think that the dam you found was built almost a hundred years ago by a feller by the name of John Zurn. If you have a copy of Heart of the Pines by John Pearce, turn to page 694.

Patt

Feb 28, 2012
thanks pinelandpaddler for the info. do not have that book but will look into getting it. we did notice on our topos that there was another marking down a little from the one we were at that could also be a dam. hopefully turtle will be able to give me some more facts also. thanks again for putting up with me trying to figure out the live maps.