Tuckerton Seaport Museum

B

bach2yoga

A thought occurred to me--when Nykki and I were talking to her friend from the historical society, her friend mentioned that Tuckerton Seaport Museum has been foreclosed on. So if you haven't been, you might want to pencil it in before it closes.
Renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I had the pleasure of going there last October during the Lighthouse Challenge, it would be ashame if they closed, they had some great old pictures depicting alot of history, I hope they save it.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
That would be a shame. We never got the chance to visit it when we were renting boats last year. Ran out of time :-(

I asked the people in the area if they had any place to visit regarding the Tuckerton Railroad but I only drew blank stares as if the railroad never existed. Perhaps it was a boat vs. train thing and they were insulted.

If anyone knows if there is a museum or a place where I can see some pictures, please let me know.

Thanks

B

bach2yoga

JerseyJim said:
I had the pleasure of going there last October during the Lighthouse Challenge, it would be ashame if they closed, they had some great old pictures depicting alot of history, I hope they save it.

My understanding is that the bank was very patient with them, that they haven't made a mortgage payment in two years. Apparently their bills for contractors were just too high.
Renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I just saw alittle something on Channel 12 news in regards to the Seaport, the bank is giving them until mid April to come up with some sort of plan to turn the place around and make some money. It turns out when they opened up they progected 75,000 visitors a year and that would of been enough to pay the Mortgage and other operational costs, well last year they had the highest amount of visitors in their history and that was only 30,000. I hope they come up with a really good plan.

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
Regarding the Tuckerton railroad there is a little egg harbor historical society they should have some information on it. Nothing is left the old R.O.W. is now a road (Railroad Ave.) And where the station was is now a Lumber Co.
Regarding the seaport is a tough one for me I have been involved with if since before it was built and my hobby also ties in with it. I do not believe it will close but clearly it needs to be run in a different manner than it has. Everything evolves over time hopefully things will improve.

B

bach2yoga

JerseyJim said:
I just saw alittle something on Channel 12 news in regards to the Seaport, the bank is giving them until mid April to come up with some sort of plan to turn the place around and make some money. It turns out when they opened up they progected 75,000 visitors a year and that would of been enough to pay the Mortgage and other operational costs, well last year they had the highest amount of visitors in their history and that was only 30,000. I hope they come up with a really good plan.

From the sounds of it the bank has been really generous. It would be nice if they can work out something...
renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
In the April 6, 2004 Asbury Park Press letter to the Editor section the person whom is incharge of Public Relations at the Seaport wrote a letter stating that a viable business plan has been drawn up and that the Seaport will stay open.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
JerseyJim said:
In the April 6, 2004 Asbury Park Press letter to the Editor section the person whom is incharge of Public Relations at the Seaport wrote a letter stating that a viable business plan has been drawn up and that the Seaport will stay open.

Jim, great to hear! That would be the equivalent of closing Steamtown, PRR museum, etc, for me.

Ken