Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
2019-05-28_light_rays.jpg

2019-05-28_cove.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

Jeez....sussss I am past being awed. could u share the settings on that last photo? Aperture, shutter speed , ISO ?? did u use any filters ? U used a telescopic with a wide angle? I think that's what a fishing hole in Heaven looks like :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jeez....sussss I am past being awed. could u share the settings on that last photo? Aperture, shutter speed , ISO ?? did u use any filters ? U used a telescopic with a wide angle? I think that's what a fishing hole in Heaven looks like :)

Thanks TC. It was very dark, 1/2 hour before sunrise, so my shutter speed was 2.5 seconds, at 14mm (using my 14-24mm lens), aperture f/ 8, and ISO 160. No filter on the camera, I usually apply a couple in Ligthtroom to darken the sky and perhaps selectively brighten certain areas. The Neutral Density and Radial Filters.

This was a pretty quick post process since the light was nice, the composition was correct, and I had mist. Nearly every photo in Al Horner's book has mist. It's a big help since it adds atmosphere and isolates the foreground. The Pinelands Reserve is a busy environment and I have found it difficult to find areas that are open, or simple enough to male a pleasing shot. It also helps to shoot into the sun, which is called backlight.

Here is the first shot I took at 4:49 AM, and I walked around trying different compositions until I found one I liked and the sky turned pink.

2019-05-30_4-49.jpg

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

I knew your shutter speed was slow from the water. Thanks, I'll try those settings in a similar situation

Reactions: Jon Holcombe